First Asparagus harvest of the year yesterday

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kchar

Darn, they were good! and my dear husband always lets me have the lion's share. I would highly recommend everyone plant some. After harvest, the plants get tall and look beautiful, would look very nice along a fence line if you don't have room in your vege patch.

Regards, Kimberly

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some well estabished crowns , over 4 years old. They are producing nicely right now. I just planted some new crowns this year and I am waiting to see the new growth any day.

Jade

Our neighbors put in a raised bed with asparagus, I was a little sceptical of it, but did some research online and found out that it a good way to grow it. I think that hubby wants to put in another raised bed, so maybe he should.

Spider_Lily

I've never grown asparagus is it easy to grow? Never ate any either .How do you cook it?I saw a package to plant should have tried it.When do you plant it?
I know to many question's.LOL:)

Kya D

Spider they really are EZ to grow. They are perennials and should not be picked the first year. You can steam, boil, make a cream sauce for them.
They take a lot of water to grow and they have a distinctive flavor. I think it is one of those things that you either like or not.
I have never bought it from the store.

Kya D

Tell ya what I have never seen an animal eat it.
I have seen it grow in cow pastures and the cattle won't eat it

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know if it's easy to transplant? I think there is still some growing at grammie's house. I will have to go look and see if it is still there

palmettogal

I've never tried to grow asparagus. I love them fresh and steamed, naked or with herbs, garlic, and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. My all time favorite way of eating them is to just take the lid off canned asparagus and dive right in with a fork.

Kya D

I have transplanted it from the ditch banks on a couple of occasions and they grew very nicely

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have transplanted it from the ditch banks on a couple of occasions and they grew very nicely

Thanks, I have today off so thinking I might take a skip to grammies house and see if it's still growing down there,not sure if it's too early for it to be up here or not

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com