First spring for herb garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

BattleScott

Hi, new member.

We planted an herb garden in a reclaimed flower bed last year and it did great. We planted basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano and purple sage. What a great addition to the garden, I can't believe we never had one before this!

I know the basil will not come back, and we have new seedlings already growing. The rosemary was brought inside for the winter and did ok.
The others are all listed as perennials and I hope they come back well this year.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to best prep the Oregano, Thyme and Sage plants for this year now that winter has come and gone? I have read differing ideas on what plants should be cut back and what should be left alone.

Thanks!

Welcome to our forum Scott!
Normally it is wise to prune out all the flower heads off the oregano and thyme in the early fall, unless you want them to spread. Both are prolific seed producers.
The oregano is the more aggressive invader of the two and will form sprawling clumps over a few years! Seeds do scatter and will come up in lawns and other gardens downwind of the the ripe flower heads. ( I know this from experience)
Both grow at their best in lean dry soils, as do the sage. Avoid using fertilizer where they are growing.
Basil likes richer soils and soil that stay moist, unlike the other 3! o you might want to plant them elsewhere such as in you flower gardens.

I've always had trouble growing rosemary!

As for spring clean up:
Oregano~ prune the all the dead growth down to almost ground level. They will start sending up new growth in a few weeks.
Thyme, you can trim off a good 1/3 of the total growth and remove all dead wood.
Sage, wait until you notice new growth starting along the lower part of the stems from last year. Snip down and leave several new buds to encourage bushiness!
But, wait to do anything until you see them coming out of dormency.

Here are my tips:

Buy already established plants.

Buy a small container that fits 4" or 6" plants.

Peal off peat pot or take out of plastic container.

Put plant in the container.

Dig a hole big enough for the container.

Use spare dirt to fill in the container.

Place container in the ground.

Now when winter comes, all you have to do is dig up the container and store inside or a greenhouse and you will never have to buy more plants again!!

Welcome to our forum Scott!
Normally it is wise to prune out all the flower heads off the oregano and thyme in the early fall, unless you want them to spread. Both are prolific seed producers.
The oregano is the more aggressive invader of the two and will form sprawling clumps over a few years! Seeds do scatter and will come up in lawns and other gardens downwind of the the ripe flower heads. ( I know this from experience)
Both grow at their best in lean dry soils, as do the sage. Avoid using fertilizer where they are growing.
Basil likes richer soils and soil that stay moist, unlike the other 3! o you might want to plant them elsewhere such as in you flower gardens.

I've always had trouble growing rosemary!

As for spring clean up:
Oregano~ prune the all the dead growth down to almost ground level. They will start sending up new growth in a few weeks.
Thyme, you can trim off a good 1/3 of the total growth and remove all dead wood.
Sage, wait until you notice new growth starting along the lower part of the stems from last year. Snip down and leave several new buds to encourage bushiness!
But, wait to do anything until you see them coming out of dormency.

Thanks for the tips!

I was ready to start cleaning them up since the weather was great this weekend and thought I better find a place to ask. Looks like I found the right place!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back