Fish Flies!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last evening I took these photos of fish flies that swarm around lights!
We have a lamp by one of the sunroom windows that give us quite the display of the diversity of the insect life that comes from the lake during mating season which runs from early April until late October!
There are hundreds of species, all coming out at different times, depending upon water and air temperatures! This year the bugs started early due to the lake water being warmer earlier then is the norm!
We also have dozens of spider species to take advantage of the swarms of fish flies!
If you hate spiders and swarming insects then you would hate where I live!
We just get used to it and accept it as part of the privilage of living by one of the Great Lakes!

Can't remember the name of this particular fish fly, but they are small enough to get through window screening. In the morning I get the vacuum out and suck up the little beggers, only to do it again, and again each morning for a few weeks!
Sorry about the photos being blurry! They simply will not sit still, and move in waves up the outside of the window! Please note the spiderwebs! As quickly as the spider builds them, they are shredded by the shear number of fish flies!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 332

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know when the air vibrates that there are countless numbers as there are stars!
Looking over to the window they are starting to gather again, but at fewer numbers! Last night must have been their peak in their mating cycle!
Someone once said that if we could gather all the fish flies in any given season, from all the Great Lakes, we would have enough protein to feed the world's poor!
There is a tribe in Africa (I forget the name of the lake) that collect fish flies, when in season, to make patties which they bake/cook!
Around here we have very fat toads, and a multitude of blouted spiders!!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many species of birds love them and either catch them on the fly, or go rooting for them in the shrubs and trees!
Ants clean up all the dead ones!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com