Fish Hook Bloom for Treva

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Treva ,
Just for you, ( well not really everyone can enjoy) ;) This is from the last time my fish hook bloomed it was in 06. ( before new camera sorry about the bad camera shot ) That's when it put on all the babies. It has not bloomed since. The old man that gave it to me has since died. He was very educated in plants and I am sure he would know why in 27 years it has only bloomed once. But wow was it well woth the waiting. I hope you enjoy yours.

Attachments

• Centerbloom.JPG
    Centerbloom.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 413
  • FH Cactus.JPG
    FH Cactus.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 430
  • Fish Hook.jpg
    Fish Hook.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 422

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are some closer views.

Attachments

• Fish hook bloom.jpg
    Fish hook bloom.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IM000930.jpg
    IM000930.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IM000934.JPG
    IM000934.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IM000936.JPG
    IM000936.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 434

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they are just beautiful. The bloom lasted a long time too. Like weeks. That was taken the first day I noticed it so I'm not sure how old it was then. I actually saw the splash of color from across the yard and thought it was trash that had blown under the tree.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! They have the most wicked back wards thorns but are so beautiful.
Ron you said Bromelaid do you know what kind. I was told it is a fish hook cactus. Now I'm not sure.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! They have the most wicked back wards thorns but are so beautiful.
Ron you said Bromelaid do you know what kind. I was told it is a fish hook cactus. Now I'm not sure.

No!
Not a cactus!
Are the leaves serrated like a pineapple?
Pinapples are bromeliad too!
I went looking around to see if I could locate something on yours and came up with no info on Fish Hook Bromelaid!
Did your neighbor call it anything else?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
No!
Not a cactus!
Are the leaves serrated like a pineapple?
Pinapples are bromeliad too!
I went looking around to see if I could locate something on yours and came up with no info on Fish Hook Bromelaid!
Did your neighbor call it anything else?

Leaves have actual thorns that run backwards like a hook.The leaves are a little more sturdy but not unlike a pineapple. They dig in real good too! I have no kidding 100's of bromeliads and these, what ever they are , are not as bendable. I will try to get a good close up of the leaves with my new camera. That pic was taken with a pocket camera. I have never seen it anywhere except his yard and now mine. I wish I could ask him but he passed. I have not tried looking it up. I will do some searches too. Thanks, now I am really wanting to know.

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just googled fish hook cactus and got a lot of results but none look even close to what I have. Hmmmm!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your Right Ron! I never even considered that because of what I had been told. Thanks. I just don't have the time to commit to finding the info like Iuse to. Your the best! Sorry I missed that post when you first posted. Forgive me?

Attachments

• Fishhook1.jpg
    Fishhook1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 415
  • Fishhook2.jpg
    Fishhook2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Fishhookthorns.JPG
    Fishhookthorns.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Treva

WHOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!
Thank You Crabbergirl!
i dont care what it turns out to be, I LOVE IT!!!
If it needs more sun to bloom please let me know! I just need to know how to care for it.
Do I cover it in winter?
You know me a million question blonde!:D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL! That's how we learn right???
I have never covered mine and they do great. I am zone 8/10 depending on the year. They have proven to be pretty hardy

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Treva,
No hot sun but a good amount of maybe light. They have been in almost full shade all their lives. I need to move a few around and see what I get.

Treva

Ok Crabbergirl, I have them in some Sun. I hope it does well I just LOVE it and i cant wait till I get one of those BEAUTIFUL blooms!

Treva

Crabbergirl...I thought I lost this plant this winter...we had a terrible WINTER!
BUT...last week it put out new leaves!!!!
I am so excited!!!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Treva,
I am happy it made the winter. Not to worry if you want another I have some babies right now. They are so darn hard to dig though. They are starting to grow really close together and at the base of a tree. I really need to divide them. Let me know if you get a bloom

Treva

Treva,
I am happy it made the winter. Not to worry if you want another I have some babies right now. They are so darn hard to dig though. They are starting to grow really close together and at the base of a tree. I really need to divide them. Let me know if you get a bloom

THANK YOU crabbergirl! I will let you know if it blooms!
Oh I do hope it does!!!:D
If you need to get rid of more I would gladly take another! Do I have anything you would like?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com