Flower seed that can be scattered in advance for a California wedding

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GammaPoint

Hi! My fiancee and I are getting married next August, in northern California near the coast (in a small town around Mendocino). A family friend of ours has a beautiful backyard that they are letting us borrow for the wedding.

We'd like to spruce up the area by adding some flowers if possible (the owners are okay with it of course). However, it's sort of a drive for us so we can't go up there very often and were thinking perhaps there was a type of flower that we could simply go up and sprinkle on some of the grounds and it grow and bloom by August 2011.

Forgive the stupidity on gardening and basic knowledge of living things :)p), but what types of flowers should we be looking at if we want to sprinkle them down on the ground months in advance and have them grow for an August wedding?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Kya D

Hi there and welcome.

I would maybe buy a mix of wildflower seeds that are especially for your area and broadcast them in the spring so they will be in bloom in august.
http://www.americanmeadows.com/Wild...st/DryAreaWildflowerMix.aspx?green=6624767224

This one is on sale for 17.95 a pound and it has lots of different kinds os seeds
http://www.americanmeadows.com/Wild...imumMix.aspx?gclid=CKnoxeKK6qMCFQsCbAodinyJ3A

Other easy seeds are marigolds, Bachelor Button, cosmos, etc.
Hope this helps.
Again welcome

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations Gamma!
Kya has offered some great seeds. I also was drawn to think you could "rent" potted flowers from a local florist. Or you could buy some from a garden center to be given as gifts to your host/hostess and you attendants. Seasonal flowers in bloom are always in bloom at garden centers. ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com