French Toast Casserole with Praline Topping

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 loaf French bread
8 large eggs
2 cups Half and Half
1 cup milk
2 T. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
dash salt
maple syrup

Praline Topping:

2 sticks butter (1/2 lb.)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 T. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Slice French bread into 20 slices 1 inch thick. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish in 2 rows overlapping the slices. In a large bowl combine eggs, Half and Half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, then beat with a rotary beater or wisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure they are covered evenly with milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day preheat overn to 350 degrees F. Mix the praline topping ingredients and spread evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Note: Casserole good without maple syrup. This recipe was selected as the winning breakfast food recipe featured in the spring 2009 issue of Acres (a small magazine).

Bernie

OMG that sounds SOOOOOOOO Yummy. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing and again Congratulations!

richnkim

I will try it but not right now. Just looking at the recipe makes me gain back the 3 pounds I lost. LOL However, I can't wait until Easter!! I will make it for breakfast!!!!! :)

plantlover

OMG! Cholesterol and calorie city, but wow does that sound dee-lish! Am I going to gain weight from looking at that recipe?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may not be able to have but a smidgen of it, but I would still like to make it for the grandkids.

Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy to me it's just as good without the maple syrup. I have even made it plain without the praline topping. I buy the French bread at the bakery thrift store. I think it does better when bread not fresh fresh. Have made this for bridal brunches etc. and always well received.

R

RiverRock

LOL...crabbergirl you crack me up!

That does sound very good, I think i would try it without the topping or maple syrup. Maybe for a special time like Easter breakfast. It certainly doesnt fit my healthy eating plan..lol But what a nice recipe for company or special times.

RR

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
RiverRock you can change the recipe to fit your needs. Try the fat free evaporated milk instead of the Half and Half. I do make it without the Praline topping and the syrup and have used a sugar substitute for the 2 T. sugar.

It's just a good make ahead breakfast casserole. I have added blueberries and other fruits to the top instread of pralines. Take my recipe and make it yours. It's very adaptable.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com