Garden Journal - Any Tips On

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I started my journal today!!! I noted the date, what type of plant, if I started from seed or plant, what I am growing them in and what I am trasplanting them to. I have a column for results. I am keeping the tags and the seed packets so I will know what ones I like. I will take some pictures, and I am going to keep the tags and packets in plastic protector sheets. I have to go get a binder. How is that for starters? Kim

Bernie

Sounds like a great start. You'll adjust it to your needs as you go along.
Thrift shops always have lots of binders very cheap. You might even be able to find the sheet protectors there. I've found those made for baseball card collectors. Also photo albums and scrapbooks. Goodwill is my second home. LOL I find lots of great gardening stuff there too. :D

swindy

Richnkim your gardening journal is on a good start. Make sure you keep an area for furture plans and wants. When I would see a garden that had a lot of intrest and had layouts that I liked I would go home and draw a sketch of it in my journal ( it would be very primitive as I am no artist) and note what items in the garden that drew me to it, like rocks , groupings of plants and colors, plant names and spacing, anything that made that garden stand out. I would also note the address where the garden was so I could check back on the garden.
Also when I am on the computer viewing gardening sites I will copy the pictures of gardens and save them to a gardening picture folder I set up. People are so much more creative in their designs then I am and when I was a new gardener I really didn't know much about design and I just couldn't grasp the spacing thing, so using other gardens as a guide I was able to over come that.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I am finally getting an idea ...(thankful t0 all your ideas on here)...What i will b doing in mine...thank you all..

richnkim

Richnkim your gardening journal is on a good start. Make sure you keep an area for furture plans and wants. When I would see a garden that had a lot of intrest and had layouts that I liked I would go home and draw a sketch of it in my journal ( it would be very primitive as I am no artist) and note what items in the garden that drew me to it, like rocks , groupings of plants and colors, plant names and spacing, anything that made that garden stand out. I would also note the address where the garden was so I could check back on the garden.
Also when I am on the computer viewing gardening sites I will copy the pictures of gardens and save them to a gardening picture folder I set up. People are so much more creative in their designs then I am and when I was a new gardener I really didn't know much about design and I just couldn't grasp the spacing thing, so using other gardens as a guide I was able to over come that.

Thanks Sharon! I do look at gardens and say, "I wish I could do that". I will try to sketch (no artist either) for the future. I am learning alot from everyone here. This is the best find! Kim :)

swindy

Thanks Sharon! I do look at gardens and say, "I wish I could do that". I will try to sketch (no artist either) for the future. I am learning alot from everyone here. This is the best find! Kim :)

Richnkim the great thing is you can do that. It just takes time and patients. Do it small, like take one small section of a garden you like and reproduce in your garden. Then next year add another small section. In no time at all you will find people looking at your garden saying " I wish I could do that"

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com