Germination

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

James27576

This thread is kind of a response to Bob's tread about getting on topic, and kind of because its advice that I could definitely use.

Do you germinate your seeds or plant them in the dirt where you plan on having them grow?

Any suggestion on a good plant light? (I am using a ott-lite, www.ottlite.com, that was on clearance at the end of last year at the Home Depot.)

When should the seedlings be transplanted to the beds outside?

What materials do you use? (soils, cups, pellets, etc.)

Have you ever tried black light? I am under the impression that plants use alot of the UV and the black lights are mainly UV.

Where do you grow them? Where do you avoid? (closet, on top of a fridge, greenhouse, etc.)

Do you keep them covered with a clear plastic? How long do you leave it on? Will that rob them of CO2 that they need?

Thanks for input... I'm off to water my seeds...
James

Jade

Wow, that is alot of questions. I will give my two cents, as I am sure everyone else will.
1. On the germination question...generally if they are flowers I start them inside. Some of the veggies I start outside, i.e. beans, squash, large seeded things...tomatoes, peppers, eggplant I would start in the house.
I am going to skip a couple of the next questions...
I like to germinate seeds in ProMix, but lots of people use JiffyMix for seedlings...etc. It just has to be a nice light mix. I usually just start my few things in leftover 4 or 6 packs from the last season. There are lots of things to use. I didn't find Jiffy Pellets to be any advantage over ProMix in 4 packs.
You should check your last frost date for your area and plan your planting accordingly. For the tender annuals plant after your last projected frost date. For things that are tougher such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, peas, etc...you can put them out earlier if they have been hardened off. Hardening off requires you putting they outside for numerous days, and nights above freezing. The wind and temperatures toughen them up to accept what the normal outside temp is. If you put tender seedlings that aren't hardened off outside right out of the house they will likely suffer from wind and temperature damage. Start them out with a few hours a day and then add an hour or two or three on every day.
Whew James, that is all that I am going to offer because there is so much info to offer you. Someone else jump in.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread is kind of a response to Bob's tread about getting on topic, and kind of because its advice that I could definitely use.

1) Do you germinate your seeds or plant them in the dirt where you plan on having them grow?

Ans: It really depends on the seeds. I like to get a jump on tomato and pepper plants because they need a fairly long time for harvesting here in Oregon. I start them in a potting soil mix that I get from the farm store and it is prepared for commercial greenhouses. Other potting soild mixes would probably work quite well as long as they are not the high nitrogen type. I can plant my beans pretty early (mid-May) directly into the soil. But I can't do that with cucumbers, corn, or squash. I wait until Memorial day (end of May) and even then it is still too early if the soil has not warmed sufficiently.

2) Any suggestion on a good plant light? (I am using a ott-lite, www.ottlite.com, that was on clearance at the end of last year at the Home Depot.)

Ans: I don't know about that particular light, but if it was sold in the garden center of HD, it is probably fine. I have three different kinds of light in my little greenhouse and all three seem to work as well as another. One type is regular fluorescent fixture and lamps. Another is fluorescent fixture with gro-lite tubes. The tubes are considerably more expensice that regular fluorescent tubes, but they may actually simulate daylight better. The third type is a quartz lamp and fixture that came with the greenhouse kit. It runs hot enough that I have to keep it further away from the plants than the fluorescents.

3) When should the seedlings be transplanted to the beds outside?

Ans: Soil temperature and frost dates will determine that. I start my plants about 8 weeks before planting time. That means about the 1st of March. The peppers and tomatoes will be planted right at Memorial Day, but hardened off about a week before that. Our frost date is April 15, but you can't trust it. I feel safe about May 15 that we won't have any more frosty nights. I have planted corn, squash, and cucumbers on Memorial Day and even then, if the soil has not warmed enough to stay above 50 degrees, the seeds may not germinate.

4) What materials do you use? (soils, cups, pellets, etc.)

Ans: Those will all work. I have used them all. But I have also gotten lazy and seed directly now into potting soil in 4" pots. Whatever you use though, be sure you have drainage holes in them. Standing water will rot the seeds.

5) Have you ever tried black light? I am under the impression that plants use alot of the UV and the black lights are mainly UV.

Ans: I have never tried black light or known anyone that did, so I have to let someone with more knowledge answer this one.

6) Where do you grow them? Where do you avoid? (closet, on top of a fridge, greenhouse, etc.)

Ans: I am fortunate to have a greenhouse with lights, timers and all that. But before that, I used a table here in the basement and my lights hung from the beams. The temperature was always above 60 or 65 degrees, so germination was not a problem. My basement is dark when no one is down here, so the grow lights were absolutely necessary after the plants began to emerge.

7) Do you keep them covered with a clear plastic? How long do you leave it on? Will that rob them of CO2 that they need?

Ans: The plastic will help retain moisture especially in some of the seed starting kits available from garden stores. But since I plant in those 4" pots, there is enough soil volume to keep a decent moisture content from one day to the next. On a warm day though, I best not miss watering the plants.

Thanks for input... I'm off to water my seeds...
James

James27576

T

Ans: Soil temperature and frost dates will determine that. I start my plants about 8 weeks before planting time. That means about the 1st of March. The peppers and tomatoes will be planted right at Memorial Day, but hardened off about a week before that. Our frost date is April 15, but you can't trust it. I feel safe about May 15 that we won't have any more frosty nights. I have planted corn, squash, and cucumbers on Memorial Day and even then, if the soil has not warmed enough to stay above 50 degrees, the seeds may not germinate.
I think this was the most important of my questions, yet I left it in the middle for some reason. I pulled the frost info for my area, Early 11-Mar Average 07-Apr Late 11-May, two month spread for early to late. I think I was in a bit of a hurry, and I will hold off a couple weeks if I can ( based on size of seedlings I am using a closet so the harsh plant light doesnt bother everyone) I should be good. maybe the weekend of the 10th, my 6 yr old will
be here that weekend, I think it would be fun and educational for him to work on the plants. I think by the 24th it will be a jungle in the closet.

thanks much for the info, again one more item to add to the list of things I learned on this site. I am beginning to think this is the best idea I had since deciding to start the garden.

James

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gawd, you have a lot of questions!
They are all good questions!
Germinating the seeds is the easy part!
Here's another something you need to work into your calculations!
You will need to acclimate the seedlings to outdoor conditions a couple of days before you plant them!
That means placing the seedlings outdoors in a sheltered area with bright light.
You gradually expose them to more sunlight as the days go by until they are in a full sun exposure.
Usually 5 days is a good period for the seedlings to get used to outdoor conditions!
You will notice a change in their look (darker green and sturdier stems) as the days go by with more sunlight exposure!
Try to keep them out of the wind if possible and remember to not let the soil dry out in the pots!
It would be a good idea to make up a solution of water soluable fertilizer at 1/4 strength to use instead of just using water. I'd use something like 10/10/10!

James27576

Gawd, you have a lot of questions!
eh... its my first rodeo. I figure the best way to get advice is to ask the ones that have been there. dynamic information as opposed to a cut and dry answer in a book or on an "expert" site that you cant ask for clarification on. believe me you folks have my appreciation, Id share the fruits (or in this case veggies) of my labor if you werent thousands of miles away.

James

Spider_Lily

1) Do you germinate your seeds or plant them in the dirt where you plan on having them grow?

I sow my tomato's and pepper's outside in a bed and keep it covered with plastic like a small green house then raise the lid to harden off plant's for transplanting.But for the veggies like peas,bean's,corn,okra.I sow them in their permanent home.

2) Any suggestion on a good plant light?
I don't use any type of lighting.

I'm going to transplant tomato's and pepper's this weekend if we get our garden spot ready.Our frost is gone for this year.Thank God

4) What materials do you use? (soils, cups, pellets, etc.)

I don't usually buy soil our's is rich already.I work it up and add horse manure to it and a sprinkle of chicken litter from a house near by that sell's it.
Got that black gold soil it will grow anything.LOL

5) Have you ever tried black light? I am under the impression that plants use alot of the UV and the black lights are mainly UV.

No never tried those

6) Where do you grow them? Where do you avoid? (closet, on top of a fridge, greenhouse, etc.)

Green house lean too type for transplants pepper .Tomato's

7) Do you keep them covered with a clear plastic? How long do you leave it on? Will that rob them of CO2 that they need?

The plastic will help hold moisture. I leave mine covered till their about two inches tall.Then open alittle more everyday.then finally in a couple days leave lid open to harden off plants.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part of the fun of gardening is sharing with others. Often the gardening is just as costly as buying from the market. But there is no way to get the taste from market produce that you will get from homegrown produce. But James, if you have the ability to take pictures, we are certainly anxious to see how things go for you. We can enjoy your garden vicariously.

James27576

I will gladly post pics. Right now the only pics I could post would be the bed, no soil, no plants just wood and screws, and the germinating plants that are just barely pokin out of the soil. I am going to take pics as things progress and post a bunch when I have something a little more interesting, like the plants in the bed.

Thanks for the interest in knowing how I'm doing. If things go I will owe alot of credit to the advice I am getting here.

James27576

little update, I am starting the hardening process now on some of the plants, the seedlings are sitting on the bed outside, unfortunately I don't have anywhere out of the wind and in the sun, so I am crossing my fingers.

My son and I put the soil in the bed over the weekend. The drain holes I put in are apparently working well because we had a heavy storm last night. I dug down to the bottom and there was no standing water.

I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing, but the next few days are going to beautiful. Is this going to affect the hardening process?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing, but the next few days are going to beautiful. Is this going to affect the hardening process?
Keep a watch on the night time temps! You may need to bring them indoors if the temp goes down into the low 40's!
You maybe pushing it, so don't rush getting them in the ground!

James27576

how big should the plants be before I start working them outside?

I checked the forecast (and we all know how accurate they are) there will be one night down to 42 degrees, and that is tomorrow night. I had no plans to leave them outside overnight for a few days.

I was going to take the plants outside for a couple hours each day then maybe an overnight or two before going in the ground. Am I doing this right?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds pretty good, but you need more than a couple of hours during the days. I usually set mine out midmorning and bring them back in about sunset.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a ground planter. I do start some short seaon seeds in side, like tomatoes or my herbs I want to get a jump on. I find it is less work to just plant them where I want them;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com