Getting close!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Captainobvious

We planted a bag of "mystery" bulbs in spring. They were a mystery because we forgot to label them :eek:
They look like Gladiolus to me :)

And they are getting close to blooming by the looks of it. Wish the lillies were planted sooner so they would be close too. Should these be supported with stakes or just left to do their thing? A few pics for you...

Gladiolus005.png

Gladiolus001.png

Gladiolus002.png

Gladiolus003.png

Gladiolus004.png

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might be a good idea to go ahead and stake them!
Glads usually tend to bend under the weight of their blooms, add wind and rain...well, best to stake them then wait for them to flop over!

Spider_Lily

Can't wait to see you Glad's in bloom.Go ahead and stake them top will be neavy in bloom's and will fall over and ruin them.I also stake my lilies.:)

Captainobvious

Okay, I'll stake them this week. Especially seeing as how they are starting to bloom ! Figured you guys would like these... (I'll take more once they are fully blossomed)

Gladiolus006.png

Gladiolus007.png

Gladiolus008.png

tominohio

I'm putting in some gladiolus. How tall do they usually get? For some reason I was thinking 5-6 ft from years past. My neighbor says 2-3 ft. the package I got em in doesn't give a ht.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the species and cutivar with new ones every couple of years! With hybridizing you're looking at hundreds!
Short ones 10"+
Tall ones up to 60"+
Then there's everything in between!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to use the green plastic stakes from Lowe's. They are about $1 each and they blend right in with the plant

tominohio

So that's why it wasn't on the package? Even they don't know.

As for the staking, I was thinking of making a fence out of tree limbs/logs. But if I don't know how tall they are gonna get, a 4 ft tall fence might be overkill.

The package says to space them 5"-6" apart, and there are 50 bulbs. So I was gonna make three 8 ft sections. Maybe I'll just make it anyway and grow some morning glory's or clematis on it.

tominohio

Well, I just got some help with the fence. Wind has been fierce here lately. Just had a 20 ft section of a dead tree in the woods blow down. Has some pretty straight sections in it. I'll try to remember to post some pics.

Captainobvious

Yup, these in my post got to about 4-5' tall. They really do catch the eye not only with their height but the flowers are extremely vibrantly colored. I remember seeing them from a distance when I woul dbe in the car and approaching the house. Good luck with yours ! :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com