Getting ready for the fair...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

They all look fantastic. I see blue ribbons in your future. Dave what kind of carrots are those. I know you told me once but I've forgotten. My carrots always look so pitiful I stopped growing them but I'd like to try again.

I think I'll be getting that first tomato sandwich of the season on Monday. I can hardly wait my mouth is watering already. We had the first picking of green beans tonight. I know you all will think this sounds awful but we are from Hawaii and love it this way. I fried some Spam and Tofu with a little soy sauce add the green beans and serve with hot rice. YumO!

Bernie I planted some carrot seeds last year that grew the sweetest tasting golf ball size and shape carrots I will try to find the name

OH OH OH they were called Thumbelina
They were the best carrots I ever ate.
I bet they would do great in containers

Last edited:
Thanks Kya I'll look for them. Still want to know the name of those prize winners Dave grows too.

Sooo sorry it's taken me so long to post... Plus, I forgot to take the camera, so pictures will have to wait until I pick my stuff up which is tomorrow... Anyhow, here is how I did..

Carrots --------------------- Blue ribbon
Plate of three tomatoes ----- Third place
Plate of twelve tomatoes ----- Blue ribbon
Red Onions ------------------ Blue ribbon + Sweepstakes
Yellow Onions --------------- Blue Ribbon
White Onions ---------------- Third place

White Potatoes ---Didn't place
Red Potatoes -----Didn't place

Well, here they bee, such as they bee! See? :D This pic includes my granddaughters things in the 10 and under age class on TV tray sans the items that don't hold up for a week such as carrots, beets etc...

Now I can concentrate on my upcoming bear hunt in Maine!!!

CountyFair2009012aaaa.jpg

Last edited:
I knew it. Great job! The ribbons are nice but I think getting to eat those wonderful veggies is the real prize.
Is this bear hunt with your church group? I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip to Maine. I'll look forward to your wonderful photos when you get back.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back