Getting ready for the fair...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

IronKnees

Well all, as many of you know I always enter lots of vegetables in the county fair... This will be our 27th year if memory serves. Now, these displays are nowhere near ready, as the onions need to be topped to one inch, and I wait till the morning that they are entered to do that... The tomatoes will be rotated to the kitchen as new ones come in and I will end up with a plate of three and a plate of twelve for another category as well as a plate of three that my granddaughter will pick and enter... Those yellow tags you see are the ones going in the 10 year old and under category... Anyhow here is the first of what will probably be several pictures that I post on this thread, and I will also be posting my canning entries down in the canning topic area... Oh!!! Almost forgot... Those three nice round onions are the first of the big sweet onions I was so worried about just a few short weeks ago, reference another thread... Dave

Attachments

• 100_4476redonions.jpg
    100_4476redonions.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_4477tomatoes.jpg
    100_4477tomatoes.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_4479yellowsweet.jpg
    100_4479yellowsweet.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 304

palmettogal

Oh, GOOD LUCK! I always go through the agricultural displays and look at the entries and awards. Never entered anything though.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice job Dave. They look great. Good luck to both you and your grand-daughter. You have to post pics of those winning rossettes!

Blueaussi

Hm, I thought I posted here earlier. Oh well.

I was wondering about the timing, I thought most state fairs were in the fall?

Good luck with your entries, though.

IronKnees

I wish it was in the fall... It's always very hot out there, and this is the reason I have to plant everything so early and put the tomatoes out in the Wall-O-Water jackets.. It's hard to get things ready for our fair... This year it starts on July 11th...
I made a similar post to this in the canning topic area with my canned goods...

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Dave and to your gdaughter.
Hope to see some blue ribbons
Our fairs are mid Sept-first of Oct
What zone are you in? we are zone 5 and our stuff is not ready until Sept. We can't plant until Memorial weekend around here and sometimes that is too early.

IronKnees

Good luck Dave and to your gdaughter.
Hope to see some blue ribbons
Our fairs are mid Sept-first of Oct
What zone are you in? we are zone 5 and our stuff is not ready until Sept. We can't plant until Memorial weekend around here and sometimes that is too early.

ZONE 5 I think.. Centeral Indiana

Bernie

:) Laurie you don't know our Dave very well. The man is a magician in the garden. I have no idea how he does it. :confused: I’m in zone five and even though I can get my tomato plants to look great I can’t get them to set any earlier (even when I try to pollinate them myself) and there is no way I can get them ripe this early. Dave has ribbons covering his barn door from past fairs. It looks like his granddaughter is learning all of her Grandpa Dave’s tricks.

Dave it all looks great. I’d wish you luck but I don’t think you need it unless maybe your GD competes against you. LOL! My garden is doing well but I’m several weeks behind you.

IronKnees

:) Laurie you don't know our Dave very well. The man is a magician in the garden. I have no idea how he does it. :confused: I’m in zone five and even though I can get my tomato plants to look great I can’t get them to set any earlier (even when I try to pollinate them myself) and there is no way I can get them ripe this early. Dave has ribbons covering his barn door from past fairs. It looks like his granddaughter is learning all of her Grandpa Dave’s tricks.

Dave it all looks great. I’d wish you luck but I don’t think you need it unless maybe your GD competes against you. LOL! My garden is doing well but I’m several weeks behind you.

Use 4th of July Tomato seeds from Burpee... Start them indoors in Feb., set them out in the garden the first of April in Wall-O-Water jacktes and you will have ripe ones by now...

IronKnees

O M G Bernie! :eek: I don't know if I can live up to such glowing acolades or not... However, I was having a bit of a down-day today and you sure cheered me up... Thanks! Dave :)

IronKnees

Well all, not much future in starting a new thread, but here are the pictures of what I am taking out to enter tomorrow.. All except the beets... I didn't want to trim them much before we go because they bleed so much... Dave

Attachments

• 100_4485aaaa.jpg
    100_4485aaaa.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_4488aaaa.jpg
    100_4488aaaa.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_4489aaaa.jpg
    100_4489aaaa.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 327

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com