Getting ready for the fair...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bernie

They all look fantastic. I see blue ribbons in your future. Dave what kind of carrots are those. I know you told me once but I've forgotten. My carrots always look so pitiful I stopped growing them but I'd like to try again.

I think I'll be getting that first tomato sandwich of the season on Monday. I can hardly wait my mouth is watering already. We had the first picking of green beans tonight. I know you all will think this sounds awful but we are from Hawaii and love it this way. I fried some Spam and Tofu with a little soy sauce add the green beans and serve with hot rice. YumO!

Kya D

Bernie I planted some carrot seeds last year that grew the sweetest tasting golf ball size and shape carrots I will try to find the name

Kya D

OH OH OH they were called Thumbelina
They were the best carrots I ever ate.
I bet they would do great in containers

Last edited:

Bernie

Thanks Kya I'll look for them. Still want to know the name of those prize winners Dave grows too.

IronKnees

Sooo sorry it's taken me so long to post... Plus, I forgot to take the camera, so pictures will have to wait until I pick my stuff up which is tomorrow... Anyhow, here is how I did..

Carrots --------------------- Blue ribbon
Plate of three tomatoes ----- Third place
Plate of twelve tomatoes ----- Blue ribbon
Red Onions ------------------ Blue ribbon + Sweepstakes
Yellow Onions --------------- Blue Ribbon
White Onions ---------------- Third place

White Potatoes ---Didn't place
Red Potatoes -----Didn't place

IronKnees

Well, here they bee, such as they bee! See? :D This pic includes my granddaughters things in the 10 and under age class on TV tray sans the items that don't hold up for a week such as carrots, beets etc...

Now I can concentrate on my upcoming bear hunt in Maine!!!

CountyFair2009012aaaa.jpg

Last edited:

Bernie

I knew it. Great job! The ribbons are nice but I think getting to eat those wonderful veggies is the real prize.
Is this bear hunt with your church group? I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip to Maine. I'll look forward to your wonderful photos when you get back.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com