GKH Words Of Wisdom – Inspiring Garden Quotes We Love

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

N

Nikki Tilley

Most gardeners find inspiration in something, be it another garden, someone they admire, or inspiring garden quotes that provide purpose. Many of us here at Gardening Know How have been inspired by little words of wisdom too. They speak to us in some way and, as such, have special meaning.

GKH’s Favorite Inspiring Garden Quotes

I have lots of garden growing quotes that I’m inspired by, far too many to list here, but there are a few that I find most appealing. The first, “It is not just plants that grow, but the gardeners themselves.” (Ken Druse) – This cannot be any truer. I have grown as a person right alongside my plants. Through gardening, I have developed a greater sense of the natural world around me and where I fit into it. And then, of course, the one with which I can totally relate: “I’ve never seen a gardener who hasn’t room for one more plant.” ((Lee May) – This is my guilty pleasure. I mean can you REALLY have too many plants?

But it’s the words of wisdom from a fellow coworker that inspired me the most. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone sum up the entire gardening experience as it relates to life quite like Kristi Waterworth when she wrote, “Every plant in the vegetable garden is a little broken heart waiting to happen. After all, you start them from seeds, nurture them through their awkward teenage stages, and then hope, as adults, they’ll be fruitful and, in some cases, even multiply.

Bonnie Grant’s favorite quote comes from Alfred Austin. “The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul.” What makes this quote so special to her? “I think it speaks for itself,” she says. “Don’t spend a lot of money. Some of the simplest things are the best.”

Tyler says, “Someone once told me, ‘It is better to underwater than overwater.’ That has been a recurring theme on the constant. Don’t be afraid to fail. Just keep trying. I have killed countless plants, and will probably kill countless more. You just have to learn from your mistakes and start over!”

Amy has a similar outlook. While she didn’t have any specific inspiring garden quotes, she did offer up one of her own. “Dive in. Gardening isn’t about perfection.” What does she mean by this? It’s simple. “Sure, you can strive for perfection, but half the fun is the journey in getting there. Just know that you are going to make mistakes along the way, but that’s life. We all make mistakes and, hopefully, we learn from them.”

I do not envy the owners of very large gardens. The garden should fit its owner or his or her tastes, just as one’s clothes do; it should be neither too large nor too small, but just comfortable.” This quote from Gertrude Jekyll sums up how Stacey feels about gardening while Liz is particularly fond of the words spoken by A. A. Milne. “Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.” She says that “nothing makes me sadder than seeing someone kill a dandelion. They’re beautiful, and bees need to eat, too!”

And finally, “If your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” (Bill Watterson a.k.a. Calvin & Hobbs) – Heather loves this quote because, as she puts it, “it so wonderfully sums up both how I live and how I think gardening should make you feel. To me, this quote means that you should live working hard at play. And for a gardener, there is no better work or play than gardening.”

The post GKH Words Of Wisdom – Inspiring Garden Quotes We Love appeared first on Gardening Know How's Blog.

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back