Golden-chain Tree

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

I recieved Golden-chain Tree seed yesterday from a friend.Not sure if they will survive here.Do you know anything about this tree?Guess I will google.LOL

Jade

The Golden Chains should be hardy in your area. I had one at a house here in Southern PA about 10 years ago. We are a zone 6 here. There was also one at a neighbors house in Ontario, so I think that you are good to go Spider.
They are very cool trees, I love their green bark. I am a bark loving gal! Found a very cool Japanese maple the other week that had very red bark. I am still trying to figure out how I can fit it into my yard.

Spider_Lily

Thank's Sandi it a beautiful tree.Found out what I needed to know.I will get my seed in the soil today.

Golden Chain Tree
The Golden Chain Tree is a Beautiful small tree noted for its long clusters of bright yellow flowers. The trees grows about 10 - 15 feet high and has pea like yellow blossoms, 6 - 10 inches long which cascade from its branches and bright green foilage. Flowers are abudant from early summer through late fall. Prefers well drained soil in full sun to partial shade location. Versatile enough to be grown almost anywhere in the garden. Drough tolerant and it easily handles high humidity. Hardy in Zones 5-10.

treeman

For whatever reason, golden rain blooms are rough on auto paint if they fall on a car or truck. Don't plant them where they will be near the drive

Spider_Lily

Thank's Ron if the all sprout I will have 15-20 tree's LOL I will be sure to plant them away from car's and house's.May have a few to share if they do well.:)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank's Ron if the all sprout I will have 15-20 tree's LOL I will be sure to plant them away from car's and house's.May have a few to share if they do well.:)

Before you sow the seeds use a nail file and sand a small hole on each of the seeds. Then soak the seeds in warm water overnight! Then sow and keep them warm!
Germination should be rapid! Usually in 3-4 days.
Caragana (Siberian Pea Tree) seeds are pretty much the same size seed and it works well for me. Making the hole allows moisture to enter the seed and speeds up the germination process!

Spider_Lily

Before you sow the seeds use a nail file and sand a small hole on each of the seeds. Then soak the seeds in warm water overnight! Then sow and keep them warm!
Germination should be rapid! Usually in 3-4 days.
Caragana (Siberian Pea Tree) seeds are pretty much the same size seed and it works well for me. Making the hole allows moisture to enter the seed and speeds up the germination process!

Thanks I will do this .

Maggie

I received a golden rain tree in some trees that ordered 2 years ago. Mine is only about 18" tall. The tree died back the first year and came back last year. Hasn't grown much but I'm hopeing it will do better this year. It is leafing out. I don't know how long it will be before I see any blooms. At my age and as slow as its growing I may never see it bloom.

Spider_Lily

I received a golden rain tree in some trees that ordered 2 years ago. Mine is only about 18" tall. The tree died back the first year and came back last year. Hasn't grown much but I'm hopeing it will do better this year. It is leafing out. I don't know how long it will be before I see any blooms. At my age and as slow as its growing I may never see it bloom.
If it grows this slow I will never see it bloom either but going to give it a try .Maybe someone will enjoy it.:)

latebloomer

Mine actually bloomed after only two years! It's only 3 feet high. It produced seeds too. Guess I was lucky?

Maggie

Mine actually bloomed after only two years! It's only 3 feet high. It produced seeds too. Guess I was lucky?

That sounds good latebloomer, maybe I will get to see some blooms as this will be the 3rd year for mine. Maybe it will spurt forth and bloom this year(hopefully).

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just reading up on the Rain Tree and discovered that the seeds need cold treatment in order to germinate!
To accomplish this requirement place the pots in a ziplock bag and stick it in the fridge for at least 4 months!
You're going to have to be very patient Spider!!!

Spider_Lily

I was just reading up on the Rain Tree and discovered that the seeds need cold treatment in order to germinate!
To accomplish this requirement place the pots in a ziplock bag and stick it in the fridge for at least 4 months!
You're going to have to be very patient Spider!!!

May not germinate then didn't know this Ron.I put the seed in the soil already .waiting now to see what happen's probally nothing.:(

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love to have one here but not sure it would live. It says zone 5
They are pretty.
Wishing you luck spider with starting some seeds,.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com