Granny's Pie Crust

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I am betting we all have seen this one...I amsure my granny got it off the old shorting can...her secret was how she mixed it...or so she said...I have won a few ribbons with this pie crust...so here we go..
This will make four crust's--two pies--
5 1/3 cups flour---you can use 1/2 whole wheat flour and still have a great crust...
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups shorting
no more than 12 Tablesppons cold water
mix your flour and salt well--
then add your shortening--with a pastry blender cut the shorening in..until you have what looks like small grains of sand..
add 6 Tablespons of water and go from there...add a bit more water on talbspoon at a time to get a nice dough that is not too sticky...
flour your counter to roll or use pastry cloth or wax papper to boll between..

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com