Grass Cuttings..

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

Can I use the grass cuttings as straw to put down in the garden, to prevent weeds? What are the other benefits of using the cuttings or straw in your garden? Does it hold moisture?

becki25msmolly

Hi, I use grass cuttings as mulch in my beds -- they help retain moisture, weed control, AND as the grass breaks down it adds nitrogen to the soil. VERY GOOD!!! My suggestion is to lay newspaper down in the rows and wet it down as you go - helps it from flying away and then put your grass clippings down -- go ahead and go HEAVY on the clippings. You don't want the grass up on your plant stems but a few inches out is ok. The grass and newspaper will decompose and when you are ready to plant next spring just till or work your soil. Hope this helps. Take care

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also use grass clipping as mulch in my gardens. I lay out newspaper first and then cover with grass or leaves. The paper helps to hold in even more moistuer and keep you from needing to water as much. It also helps keep the veggies and such from having an excess of sand and soil on them. I actually lay soaker hoses under the papers and mulch. That way I never have to top water my garden risking diseases and fungus on my night shades. Tomatoes and such should never be top watered if you can help it. It is also better for melons and pumpkin ;)

Tracey

Well Holy Moly, I have never used grass clippings because I was under the impression that clippings would root? Please assure me I am incorrect in thinking that!!! I own 5 acres so I have an abundance of clippings to use as mulch.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabbergirl is the expert here, Tracey. She uses grass clippings over newspaper as much and it works great for her. I recently went to a class put on by the city gardener of our fair city of Newberg. He doesn't use newspaper, but he mulches with compost. With CG's method, the grass clippings will compost while serving as the mulch. But I have never heard of grass clippings taking root. It would take seeds in the clippings for that to happen, I'm sure.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even with seeds in the clippings I have never had them root or sprout. Clippings will not root as they are just the elaves of the grass. It is a great way to keep a constant release of nitrogen in the garden. Especially if you are organic and use little to no commercial fertilizers.
You have to be careful when using fresh clipping because as you pile them up they become very hot. Do not put directly against your plants especailly tender young sprouts. I will let them cool down for a few days before putting very close to me plants. However as I remulch my paths I just pile up the fresh green clipping. The heat helps to kill the weed and grass seeds that maybe in the clippings. When I lay out new grass I also put down new layers of newspapers. I almost never have to weedif I continue this process over and over. I do mulch right up the the plants with dried material and it really makes a big difference in how well my garden does.
Adding the excess clippings to your compost is wonderful. The heat from the green makes the compost cook faster and adds once again nitrogen;)

Tracey

Well this is great news. Thanks for sharing your insight.

I recall my uncle used to be adamant about picking up his clippings and moving them to any area that did not have grass. He always said it would root and fill in the gaps..

Therefore I have been misinformed and have wasted alot of good grass clippings..

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
What it would do is retain moisture better and allow any seeds present to have a better chance at germinating.

3WE

Hey- I do not like to mulch heavily and all at once with clippings. Otherwise they "cook" a little bit into a moldy "cake layer" that smells bad and can even repel water and slow air exchange with the soil.

I suggest a very light layer (so you can barely see through it). Then after that layer dries completely, add another thin layer. This will eventually build up to a light, fluffly mulch as opposed to "flat slab of cardborad".

tominohio

I tried plastic last year. Never again. Too much work for the results. I am definetely going back to the grass clippings this year. As for the post about not top watering your tomatoes, I had never heard that before. I have only been vegetable gardening for like 5-6 yrs. Does anybody else only water thier tomatoes from below? I use a 4 ft. post in the middle of the garden with a sprinkler on top to water sometimes.

Never used the newspapers either, have to try it out this year.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use soaker hoses and the only water that hits the top comes from a source a bit higher than I can reach. LOL

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi TominOhio,
Welcome. If you study on night shades you will see the direct connection between damp leaves and fungus and diseases. A lot of people still top water but I stopped doing it about 20 years ago and found I have much less trouble with fungus and disease. If you do top water try to do it very early in the day so water is not sitting on the plants over night. Temps have a lot to do with the birth of fungus and disease also. ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com