Green house

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

I set up the green house this week and plan on using it to grow cactus and seedling with the green house and the shade I should be able grow more cactus and shade loving plants, its not a big house only 8x12 but it should do until I can build one bigger my self or hit the lottery :D

cactusHouse.jpg

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's how big mine is too, but it is adequate for my needs. I have even offered some space to neighbors, but no one has ever taken me up on it.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice greenhouse Bear!
I could have used one like yours when I lived in the city!
I wonder if it would survive the high winds we get coming off the lake?
I'm pondering about putting my coldframe together in the next few days to start hardening off all the seedlings that I have inside!
I'm running out of room as I repot all the seedlings into larger pots, so, I better get moving!
Thanks for the modivation!

GardenBear1

Ron, I had to use rebar (sp?) to hold it down, it moves in a small amount of wind, I'm going to fill it real fast and enjoy it

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enjoy your greenhouse Bear! I know i would!!
I think I may stick to a coldframe!
I'll be using it as a mini-greenhouse that wont blow away!
I may build a wood framed structure and clad it in used windows!
Maybe! But not this year!

swindy

That is a nice Greenhouse GardenBear. I have looked at them and thought they would be great. I hope you catus grow good in it.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bear, that's a great size. Just right. I find if the space is too bigg you tend to fill it with things other than plants! LOL!

I have the old frame from my kennels that I want to make into a green house. Tim however is giving me grief over my plan. Hmmm we will see. I will take my temp green house down this weekend as I think the threat of frost is gone. I just have my tropicals in there for now.

GardenBear1

All gone

this what I found when I came home from work today :eek: :mad:, the wind was so bad it took my green house and ripped it apart, so now to rethink a green house that will hold up in high winds, maybe time to build one and play it safe, I'm just happy I didn't have any thing in it yet.

wind.jpg

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's too bad, GB. It was windy here today too, but not heavy enough to do any damage.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is so heart breaking!
I feel your disappointment Bear
Wood and glass is the way to go!
Or, metal and glass bolted to a concrete base!

sunflower3

My green house is PVC and plastic with some wood too. Picture of my new shelves but you can also see the side of the house too.

Attachments

• all pictures 174.jpg
    all pictures 174.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 421

Jade

Dang Bear, that is too bad. I would like to put a little greenhouse on the side of our house, but it isn't in the budget. My kitchen and deck are filling up with all kinds of things.

GardenBear1

Sunflower, I sure like the looks of that green house it looks like the right size for my cactus :D.
Jade, the set back won't stop me I'm looking into making one my self later this year, when I have some money put aside for it :)

Blueaussi

Oh Bear, I'm so sorry. It looked like a neat green house.

I had a hoop house more like Sunflower's, and it held up pretty well in high winds. Mine was made to take up and down, so the spine at the top was just PVC poles jammed together. and some times a couple would come unconnected in high winds, but the structure seemed sound. If I was going to leave it up all year round I would probably screw or glue the poles.

Here's what mine looked like.

HoopHouse4050.jpg

Here's where I got the basic plans for mine.

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com