greenhouse location

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

oIHo™

Hello, I am preparing to setup my first greenhouse. Its just a beginner one, a cheap harbor frieghts 6x8. I have heard these are not UV coated and dont last too long in direct sunlight. One thought I had was placing it in a location on the south side of our house between the house and driveway. Along the driveway are 3 huge maples, like 3 foot diameter at their bases. They shade the house well during the summer, and this location for the greenhouse would be basically under the last one.

We would mainly be using the greenhouse to start veggies and stuff in the spring, and probably won't be using it much in the summer anyhow. During the spring the location gets full sun, minus a bit of bare branches in the way. But by summer time the trees leaf out and help shade (protect) the greenhouse. Even in the summer the greenhouse would get mostly full sun until just before noon, and then be in the shade of the trees the rest of the day.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi oHIo,

Southern exposure is always goog for a green house. You may find you need grow lights if you are getting too much shade. Lack of good light can cause your seedlings to grow very lanky and not strong and sturdy ;)

GardenBear1

Your cover on the green house should last about 3 years, before removing it for the winter make sure its clean and dry that way it will last, when you need to replace it you can buy shade cloth for it and it will work out fine, I have a 15x7 hoop house I'll be putting up this spring for lots of my house plant and starting seeds, make sure that the seedling get a good air flow to help the grow

oIHo™

Thanks all for the advice.

Crabbergirl - during the spring the greenhouse would be getting pretty much all day full sun, the trees by it wont have any leaves on them when I am starting the seedlings. I forget when exactly they start leafing out, but I think it will get plenty of light until transplant time in early may. If we try to start stuff later on, well maybe it would be more of an issue then. But I think after stuff is planted in the springtime the greenhouse will mainly be a small storage room for potting supplies, thats usefull for us too... I am running out of garage space.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well then I think your plan sounds like you are ready to roll. Take some pictures and let us see how you are doing. Oh .... note: I hope you don not suffer from the same disease I do, nothing growing ,but all the good stuff is on sale so you fill up the greenhouse space. Then when it's time to use that space you have nowhere to put the stuff you bought on sale. :rolleyes: I always say I am not putting anything here until spring, but it never fails. LOL!

growing341

You need to choose an area that or location which is exposed to sunlight for at least 6 hours of the day. This is required to support the growth of most plants.Also check out the accessibility to water and electricity.So that you can implement your hydroponics systems properly.

rockhound

I think that location will be a good start. A greenhouse that size can always be moved if need be. Good luck and keep a journal hanging in the greenhouse so you can note the day the maple gets leaves, days of starting seeds, etc. You can use those notes next year. Happy planting!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com