Ground breaking at B & D lil acre

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gardengoddess

Hi Everyone,

I know I've been REALLY quiet here recently. I've been working hard to finish up my Master's thesis and then to top that off I got a new job. It's a good thing because I actually get to use my degree (adult ed/Org Development). While all this is exciting stuff it has meant little time for keeping in contact with all my wonderful internet friends...Heck even Bob, my fiance', hardly remembers me at this point lol!

So last weekend I actually finished my thesis which means I now have time to start my first garden in Iowa. Yesterday Bob and I broke ground on three new beds. We started with a sod cutter so we can use the sod in other areas that are a little bare or uneven.

The first bed wraps around the deck and will have a water garden as part of it. The other two are the beginnings of my border garden. Since my back border is about 150 feet we decided to do it in stages. One bed is one end and the other bed is the other end. Gradually the two beds will be extended and meet to form one long back border garden.

Dora

Attachments

• South side of deck bed.JPG
    South side of deck bed.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 358
  • West side of deck bed.JPG
    West side of deck bed.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 377
  • North side of border garden.JPG
    North side of border garden.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 351
  • South side of border garden aka The Grove.JPG
    South side of border garden aka The Grove.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 361
  • New pond shell.JPG
    New pond shell.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 357

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats Dora on finishing school, the new job and the new gardens, please keep us in pics as the progress continues
say hello to bob for me, i bet he is glad school is done too
what are you going to plant in your gardens?

Gardengoddess

Well I've got primrose lilac, yellow butterfly bush, euphorbia (Jessie) for the north side of the border garden. I've got some salvia started from seed I that I think will set off the yellow quite nicely. I want some witch hazel and sweet shrub for The Grove.

For the deck bed I have some canna, and lobelia for around the water garden. I've also got autumn lollipop, rudbeckia prairie sun and cherry brandy, coreopsis sunfire and sunrise, crazy daisy, cat mint (walker's low), agastache, galardia burgundy and dazzler, echinechea double decker (from seed so we'll see what we really get) sundown,summer sky , a variety of lillies of course, Jacob cline monarda,

In the front bed I have day lillies, Japanese iris, jacob's ladder, and globe flower.

Whew, I think that's all for now lol!

Bob says to pahk the cah ;-)

Dora/Garden Goddess

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bob says to pahk the cah ;-) I did.....LOL :D:D
If I make it out to Oregon like I would like to next yr, I'm going to miss seeing you both. :mad:

Dora/Garden Goddess

Wow that is alot, you've got a great start and hope it all comes out well for you
Keep the pics and updates coming

SassyWVGirl

It sounds like a great plan and like you have a lot of wonderful plants to start out with so it'll soon be gorgeous. I'm just starting from square one myself this year, so I'll be eager to see the progress you're making. I bet it's gonna be spectacular!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Oh Dora ..you must be so proud of yourself...Why to go!!!!...and the garden beds sound like they will be beautiful....you and Bob work to hard...tak e a break now...LOLLook forward too seeing more pictures of the projects...and you two this summer...:D

Gardengoddess

Oh Dora ..you must be so proud of yourself...Why to go!!!!...and the garden beds sound like they will be beautiful....you and Bob work to hard...tak e a break now...LOLLook forward too seeing more pictures of the projects...and you two this summer...:D

Thank you, thank you :) I think I miss named this thread. I think I should have named it back breaking at the B and D lil acre lol! I spent two hours moving and placing sod...OY! My back is definitely feeling it!

Ah Spring gotta love it :)

Dora/Garden Goddess

swindy

Dora congratulations on your finishing your degree and getting a new job. Wow that is a lot of work right there and now a new garden. Your beds look great and all the plants should be real happy in their new home.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what I did on my previous post. Looks like I edited your post as my writing is in your post then quoted it or something. Who knows....lol
Take it easy Dora, it doesn't need to be all done at once. I'm sure once the plants start blooming it will look awesome

Bernie

Congratulations on the thesis and the new job. I love the shape of your beds. The pond and the list of plants are bound to make your gardens beautiful. Your fur baby is cute.

Gardengoddess

Thanks everyone :)

Bernie my fur baby is my constant companion out in the yard :) She was a muddy mess this weekend. She was too muddy to even take upstairs to get a bath. It was to chilly to hose her off so we cleaned her feet in a small pot in the kitchen lol.

Dora/Garden Goddess

richnkim

Dora, congratulations on the job and the thesis! I know you are proud, and should be!

Now, the garden! What fun!

treeman

Congratuations Dora, You didn't tell us what the job is? The degree sounds like it qualifies you as an Extension Agent.

Blueaussi

Wow, what a nice big yard, and looks like it's needing a loving gardener. And I see you're being properly supervised there, in the first picture.

Gardengoddess

Treeman,

My new job is as senior trainer for service center reps for Allied/Nationwide insurance. So far I'm really liking it :) Not only do I get to teach I get to talk to a bunch of folks to market our training department and of course improve the program. Fun stuff :)

BlueAussi,

Yep it really needs a loving gardener and Jessie, my fur baby, loves to supervise my efforts lol! She watched over me this afternoon while I was digging out a big chunk of concrete from where my pond is going. Bob thought I should give up but I prevailed lol

Dora/Garden Goddess

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com