growing common sage (salvia officinalis)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

hey you guys, im in like zone 9 or 10 and i want to grow sage...when would be the best month closest to now to grow it?

should i grow it now? or do i have to wait until next spring?

I live in zone 5 but I would guess that it would do better when the weather cools down a bit.

I live in zone 8b so I would not plant it yet it is still too hot for it to get a good start. I would plant it from sept. to may. It gets a better start in the cooler months.

I have a tri-colored sage that is still sitting in it's pot. I water it only when the soil dries.
Still haven't decided where I want to plant it....in the perennial garden, or in the veggie patch?
Had the green one a few decades ago which one of my sister's kill because she hates sage! It grew into a small woody shrub which needed to be clipped back each spring!
It was planted in in ful sun and sandy soil that drained well.
Once they are established you do not need to fuss over it! It may need a good watering every other week during the hottest time of the year.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back