Growing dahlias from seeds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

plant54

Has anyone tried growing them from seed. I ordered some seeds and will give them a try. Dahlias are so pretty, but the tubers cost so much.

sunflower3

I just started some today from seeds, purple and white mix and some Thomas Edison dahlias, I have all kinds and love how easy they are to grow. this is the first time I have grown them from seeds, so I'll have to see how they turn out.

K

Kale

Plant54,
Why certainly !
What is your location?
Welcome!:D

** Great for you Sunflower3!:D!

Kale:)

K

Kale

Sure Sunflower3!
I was looking at my seed packet and it says Perennial!
I still have one that's growing but unable to bloom,not enough light,she is about 4feet tall and vining!*LOL Truly vining with all sorts of side shoots!
Doesn't look real petty or much like a Dahlia *lol but growing!
Also,I pulled out a baby that was in a very small pot no tuber! He(Bob the Dahlia friend) kept it in the small pot and didn't give it the needed sun,it never bloomed I took it back to babysit)
Nothing but a few roots*lol I think I'll pot up one of the tubers I have from seed started ones last year.
I'm in a big bind now not sure what I should be doing. I mean, I know the time table in which things would be done under normal circumstances,but I have not been living under those.
I have been wanting to see if I can grow cuttings from her just cut her down but haven't had time or motivation to research.I'm pretty sure I know how but, I want to be certain. Have you ever taken a cutting and rooted one?

Plant54 as you read above you can get tubers by fall from seed!
You can do a search here up top closer to the right hand side for dahlias and read what was written earlier about growing "Dahlia from seed".
Have you grown tubers? Are you a perennial grower? Are you experienced in growing from seed? What's your location?

K

Kale

Interesting but some detail is missing and some isn't true.

plant54

Kale I live in zone 4. And I'm just getting started in flowers this year. I have a small heated greenhouse. I mainly grow citrus in containers, some are in the greenhouse some are in the house.
For some reason I feel attracted to Dahlias the flowers are so pretty and colorful.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope the red ones I got from Karen ( Sunflower3) Last year reseeded. They were so beautiful and I can't wait to see them come back this year.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com