Growing Grapes for Seed.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

plant54

Has anyone tried growing grapes from seed. I was able to get some cold hardy grape seeds to germinate using the baggie method, I replaned them in a soil mix and have them growing in the greenhouse.

I don't know how grape's would do but would love to know also.I have a Scuppernong (Scuppernong is the original variety of bronze muscadine)as they get ripe and fall to the ground after the squirrel's beat me to them.The seed's sprout under the vine.They make a smaller less sweet type.I keep them pulled out.:)

All I know is that they are commonly propogated by cuttings. I never tried seeds.

If you have sprouts, your are doing great. Now I know that some grapes are grafted , so you may not get the actual grape from which the seed came. As with roses a grafted root can be a very important part of the end product. Let us know what your end product turns out to be. Can you post some pics??

that is wonderful you have sprouts...as CG said though may not be true to the plant...I have had luck grafting in the past but never tried seeds...would also love to be kept up to date on how they do?...and always love pictures

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back