Growing SHITAKE Mushrooms

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Hello All...My husband and i have grown the button mushrooms for several years now...get the kits and have had great fun growing, harvesting and of couse eating them...They are grown in a box pretty much in a dark cool closet...
Well, A friend gave me two Shitake Mushroom logs. They are a bit different. So thought I would share as we go along...Anyone out there growing these also?...Plese fel free to share here also...
The Shitake is also know as the Balck Forest mushroom (Lentinus edodes)...meaning: 'the mushroom of the shii or oak tree' in Japanes.
Shitake mushrooms contain B1 (riboflavin), B12 nd vitamin D. they also have anti-tumor, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties. Shitake have all 9 of the amino acids in ratio similar to the idea protein aand about 20% protein by dry weight. Calcium, phosphrous, iron, sodium and potassium are also present in significant amounts, The fiber of the shitake cantain eritadenine that produce a cholesterol lowering effect and is low in calories. And they taste great ...YUMMY!!!!

Once you get the kit home you take it out of the bag and make sure it's weight is 4 1/2 to 5 pounds...if not you will put the log in a bucket of water and soak for up to 24 hours...we placed a brick ontop to hold it down...hubby forgot to take pictures of this step...sorry...then find a plce out of direct sunlight...temps between 62 to 70 degrees is Ok...they will grow in lower temps...just slower ...The first day or so you sprits it with a spray bottle of water...then you place a plastic tent over the brick/log...and watch them grow...Here is the first day picture after the sater soak...will take pictures along the way...will try every day...and we can watch them grow...

Attachments

• 2009_0909ShitakeCorn0013.jpg
    2009_0909ShitakeCorn0013.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 305

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our diabetes dietician told us that mushrooms were really a good thing to add to our diet. I bought some today at CostCo, but they are in cans. The Sanders part of the family does not care for mushrooms.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad you mentioned that. I'll take a look. I don't use them often, but I sure do like to make a one-egg omelet and use some of those in there.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Randy if you want one of the logs let me know...would be happy to share...freshones are the best

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, Deb, but I don't want to try and grow them. Right now I am so busy I don't want to add to the load. I worked 8 hours on those pears today and I will go back to work on them again tomorrow. At least I made a dent in the pile of them that are down here in the basement.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
No problem...If you do, in the futrue want to try growing let me know...can get the kits preety low price yp here...they really take no time just so you know...once you get them soaked and going all you do is harvet...Your basement will be a perfect place for them also

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
One Week Later....
Went to look in on the mushrooms...tent was fogged..then I took it off and here is what i have thus far...

oh and it seems we set the logs upside down...oppps

Attachments

• 2009_0917ShitakeCorn0002.jpg
    2009_0917ShitakeCorn0002.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 2009_0917ShitakeCorn0001.JPG
    2009_0917ShitakeCorn0001.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 2009_0917ShitakeCorn0003.JPG
    2009_0917ShitakeCorn0003.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 2009_0917ShitakeCorn0004.JPG
    2009_0917ShitakeCorn0004.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 328

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Thanks...Well On the button mushrooms we would harvest for a few months...I am told these willhave ot be re-soaked so it is back up to at least 5 pounds and then it is hit or miss..

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com