Have cockroaches in old organic soil under mulch. I left it all unattended but want to keep soil..

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

ismarina

Hi, I am very new to gardening. I started growing some green beans (only one successful out of them), yellow squash and pumpkin last year in the autumn. I had left these jade green beans growing. I am now looking at the planter which is an 8'x10' and seeing it has grown grass and weeds and my husband left a pot of yerba buena on top that has taken over a good portion of it. A few days ago, I wanted to clean it up and replant but I noticed as I was digging that I already found 3 cockroaches and now am anxious to get rid of them. I am not sure if using Diamotaceous Earth would be enough for me. I would still have their dead bodies and their feces left over in the soil and I am not sure if that is hygenic since I am using the soil to grow crops to eat. I live in Florida and that area gets really hot. I guess I did bad by leaving mulch there and so they find cooler shelter and eat the decaying mulch now. I can start by getting rid of the mulch or do I need to? Is using natural remedies like putting garlic hot pepper and ginger water in the soil good enough? Would that kill them or make them scurry away? Also I think I erroneously placed this planter up against the side of my house. I did that for irrigation purposes. Please advise, thank you for your patience!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com