Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

Hey Everyone, I have been reading all of the yummy recipes in here and I love them!!! :D
I also am trying to watch what I eat. :eek: I don't do it like I should probably but doing it takes all of the fun out of living, doesn't it!!! :) However, healthy can be good!!! ;););)

So especially for you Crabbergirl and me too! (Weight Watchers at home.) That is what I am doing!! ;)
And for everyones health. :D

Here is the first one!! Let me know what you think. Kim

Ham And Cheese Frittata

1 cup lean ham, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
6 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup reduced-fat cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a 10-inch oven proof skillet with cooking spray. Preheat overmedium heat. Add ham, onion, and bell pepper. Cook about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender and ham is lightly brown. In a mixing bowl combine eggs, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour over ham mixture. Cook over medium-low heat. As egg mixture sets, run a spatula around the edge foe the skillet, lifting the egg mixture so uncooked eggs flow underneath. Continue cooking until egg is almost set. Place the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes, or until completely set. Remove and arrange tomato slices on top and sprinkle grated cheese over tomatoes. Turn oven to broil and return to melt the cheese. Remove, and slice in six wedges. Serves 6.

And the points value per serving is 4-points for those interested.

Enjoy! :D:D:D:D

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds like a great recipe. Will have to try it. Hope you do well on your weigh in today.

richnkim

Here is one that I think that everyone will enjoy this summer with all of those tomatoes!!! I hope so! :)

Attachments

• SPAGHETTI WITH BAKED SUMMER TOMATOE1.txt
    2 KB · Views: 429

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh Kim Thanks ! How great is this. Right now I am eating a salad from my garden. By about 3 I will be starving. MAybe that would be something I could have for lunch that would hold me til dinner. Both sound great!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim, I checked with the dietician at the nursing home this morning and she said it would be okay to bring in those oatmeal cookies for the residents. But she also wants the recipe and so did one of the caregivers. I'm going to make them next Monday and have them to take in on Tuesday morning. BTW, I mailed the parcel this morning and you should have it in a couple of days. I put several flakes of the dries sourdough in a small plastic bag. You only need one of them though. You can save the others for later if your starter ever goes bad. Just put the flake in a cup or bowl with some water and a little flour. It may take three or four days to see the starter start to work. I like to keep the flour/water a bit thick so I can see when it starts to bubble. I had a couple of leftover biscuits in the freezer too that I put in the parcel. Warm them up in the microwave. They are never as good re-heated though as they are fresh out of the oven. The recipe I use almost exclusively now is on that disc and is the Sourdough Buttermilk Buiscuit recipe. There is stuff on that disc that you didn't ask for, but there is so much room on a disc that I added it anyway. Under the vegetable file, you will find about 30 salsa recipes if you are interested.

richnkim

Kim, I checked with the dietician at the nursing home this morning and she said it would be okay to bring in those oatmeal cookies for the residents. But she also wants the recipe and so did one of the caregivers. I'm going to make them next Monday and have them to take in on Tuesday morning. BTW, I mailed the parcel this morning and you should have it in a couple of days. I put several flakes of the dries sourdough in a small plastic bag. You only need one of them though. You can save the others for later if your starter ever goes bad. Just put the flake in a cup or bowl with some water and a little flour. It may take three or four days to see the starter start to work. I like to keep the flour/water a bit thick so I can see when it starts to bubble. I had a couple of leftover biscuits in the freezer too that I put in the parcel. Warm them up in the microwave. They are never as good re-heated though as they are fresh out of the oven. The recipe I use almost exclusively now is on that disc and is the Sourdough Buttermilk Buiscuit recipe. There is stuff on that disc that you didn't ask for, but there is so much room on a disc that I added it anyway. Under the vegetable file, you will find about 30 salsa recipes if you are interested.

Randy, I thank you so much!!!! :) I will enjoy every bit of it, I'm sure! I'm so glad that you get to share the cookies. Let me know if everyone likes them. I'll let you know how the biscuits are! :D

richnkim

Oh Kim Thanks ! How great is this. Right now I am eating a salad from my garden. By about 3 I will be starving. MAybe that would be something I could have for lunch that would hold me til dinner. Both sound great!

Hey Crabbergirl, I have so many more. I will get more posted as soon as I can. I hope you enjoy them. :)

plantlover

Salmon Patties -- courtesy of my mother

1 can of sockeye salmon
3-4 scallions (green onions) finely chopped
1 -2 eggs, depending on the size of the can of salmon
Panko breadcrumbs (regular unseasoned bread crumbs work too.)
salt and pepper to taste

*Drain the salmon and remove the bones. Break it up into pieces
*Add 1 -2 eggs and mix thoroughly with the salmon.
*Add the green onions and continue mixing so that everything is blended together.
*Add the breadcrumbs, adding enough to hold the salmon mixture together.
*Make into patties and saute in a small amount of olive oil until the outside is lightly
browned and the insides are thoroughly cooked and warm.

Serve with a wedge of lemon and some horseradish sauce or Dijon mustard. Serve with a nice steamed veggie and a big green salad.

richnkim

Salmon Patties -- courtesy of my mother

1 can of sockeye salmon
3-4 scallions (green onions) finely chopped
1 -2 eggs, depending on the size of the can of salmon
Panko breadcrumbs (regular unseasoned bread crumbs work too.)
salt and pepper to taste

*Drain the salmon and remove the bones. Break it up into pieces
*Add 1 -2 eggs and mix thoroughly with the salmon.
*Add the green onions and continue mixing so that everything is blended together.
*Add the breadcrumbs, adding enough to hold the salmon mixture together.
*Make into patties and saute in a small amount of olive oil until the outside is lightly
browned and the insides are thoroughly cooked and warm.

Serve with a wedge of lemon and some horseradish sauce or Dijon mustard. Serve with a nice steamed veggie and a big green salad.

Oh, those sound good! I love salmon!!!! :D:D

Spider_Lily

CHEESY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

14-16 ounce package frozen broccoli florets
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 pieces bacon, chopped and fried until crisp

Cook the broccoli 4-5 minutes or just until tender-crisp; drain very well. Put in a greased 2-quart casserole. Mix in the cream cheese, cheddar, green onion, salt, pepper and bacon. Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly.

Makes 4-6 servings

richnkim

Garden Vegetable Soup

2/3 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic
3 cups fat-free broth, chicken or beef
1 1/2 cups diced cabbage
1/2 cup zucchini
1/2 cup green beans
1 Tblsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt

In a large pot, sprayed with cooking spray, saute' the carrots, onions, and garlic over medium heat until just tender. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender. Stir in zucchini and heat for 3 or 4 minutes longer. This is 0 points for 1 cup, with weight watchers!
This can be doubled or tripled eaisly. Play with it add other things. Sometimes I add small pasta. If you want meat in it you can add cooked leftover chicken, beef or whatever. You can make this one go a long way.

richnkim

I think that I am going to make this one for dinner tonight! It's good!

Chicken Cacciatore

4 small boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 can (14.5oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 medium bell pepper, cut in strips
4 oz. sliced button mushrooms
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup water or red wine
2 tsp. dried italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Coat a skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken and cook until lightly browened on each side, and is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add water to skillet to deglaze pan. Add peppers, mushrooms and onions to skillet, cook until just tender. Add italian seasoning, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add chicken back to pan and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Serves 4. For weight watchers this is 3 points per serving.

This one is good for those on low carb diets! It is also good with pasta, and you can get the low-carb pasta.

richnkim

Here is another one: Forgive me, I'm bored.

Green Chili Chicken

2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (4oz.) diced green chilies
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 Tblsp. flour
2 Tblsp. water
1/2 cup sour cream

Mix chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt together and rub onto the chicken. Add oil to skillet and heat to hot. Brown chicken in the oil. Add garlic, onion, green chilies, and chicken broth. cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Drain the juices back into the pan. Blend the flour, and water together until no lumps are left. Stir flour mixture into the broth, add to the pan. Cook stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in sour cream. Serve sauce over chicken. Serves 4.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just complaining to Bobbi in an e-mail this evening that I am getting so many ideas that I don't have enough days to try them all out. But I'll make a stab at it.

Last edited:

richnkim

For those on the low-carb diet:

Chicken Fingers with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast tenders
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 Tblsp. minced dried onions
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine honey and mustard in a small bowl; stir well. Cover and chill. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine chicken and buttermilk in a shallow dish; cover and chill 15 minutes. Drain chicken discarding the buttermilk. Combine cornflakes, bread crumbs, onion, paprika, thyme, pepper, and salt in a large zip-loc plastic bag. Add 4 chicken pieces to the bag; seal and shake bag to coat. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Place chicken on a baking rack sprayed with cooking spray. Place rack on a jelly-roll pan. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is done.

This is one of my Weight Watchers Recipes: I get 3 pieces of chicken with 4 tsp. sauce for 4 points.

richnkim

Ok, no one has posted any new ones, and I need some inspiration so here is a new one. Please give me some more ideas.

Smokey Mexican Pork Stir-Fry

1 (12oz.) pork tenderloin, cubed
2 slices lean bacon, diced
1 chipotle chili,chopped
1 Tblsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion,sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
3 cups lettuce, coarsely chopped

Toss pork, bacon, and chipotle together in a small bowl. Combine oil, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic together in a skillet. Add the meat mixture to the skillet. Stir-fry until meat is done and bacon is crisp. Remove from skillet; add bell peppers, and onion to skillet and stir-fry until just tender. Return meat and heat through. Serve over lettuce.

Niartana

A good and healthy recipe from which you definitely won’t get fat!)))) Tasty and healthy
How long to boil corn
corn-848x470.jpg

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com