Heart Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I don't know if I could eat poached fish. I like it grilled but I am not sure about poached. How did you do it?

I found a recipe that I want to try, not fish but chicken.

Chicken Scaloppine with Sugar Snap Peas, Asparagus, and Lemon Salad

3 cups julienne-cut sugar snap peas (about 1 pound)
2 cups asparagus slices (1-inch)
6 (6oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
Cooking Spray
1 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 Tblsp. butter
1 Tblsp. fresh mint, chopped
2 1/2 Tblsp. olive oil
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 1/2 Tblsp. fresh lemon juice

Steam peas and asparagus, covered, 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain and chill. Place chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound until 1/4 - inch thick. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper. Coat a skillet with cooking spray. Heat pan to medium-high heat. Cook chicken on each side 2 to 3 minutes or until done. Remove chicken to plate. Add broth and wine to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. cook until reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat add butter. Combine remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, mint, oil, rind, and juice, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle oil mixture over pea mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve with chiken and sauce. Serving size: 1 chicken breast half, about 1 cup pea mixture, 4 tsp. sauce, and 1 lemon wedge.

I did find another that I want to try.

Grilled Halibut with Three Pepper Relish

Relish:
1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
1 red bell pepper, quartered
1 orange bell pepper, quartered
Cooking Spray
2 Tblsp. fresh parsley
2 Tblsp. capers
1 Tblsp. olive oil
1 Tblsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

Fish:
1 Tblsp. olive oil
8 (6oz.) each skinless halibut fillets
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 fresh black pepper

Heat grill to medium-high heat. To prepare relish, coat bell pieces with cooking spray. Place peppers on a grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side until lightly charred. Remove from grill; cool slightly. Coarsely chop peppers, parsley, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); set aside. Prepare fish. Brush each piece of fish with oil and sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. Place fish on rack and grill 4 minutes on each side, or until the desired degree of doneness. Serve with relish. Serving size: 1 fillet with 1/4 cup relish. Nutrition: 224 calories, Fat 7.3g, Protein 34.6g, Carbs 3.5g, Fiber 1.1g, Cholesterol 52mg, Iron 1.8mg, Sodium 392mg, Calcium 85mg.

I think that this would be good on tortillas for tacos!

I don't really have a recipe but I have started using 2% cheese not the fat free cause it tastes like plastic. I also use olive oil, and the butter that is heart healthy at the store. I use 85% lean at least on hamburger and buy the leanest meat I can find. I eat the old fashion oatmeal and I have to watch what I eat when we are eating out. I have my cholestrol in good shape right now but I have to think about what I am eating. We are having hot dogs for supper so I picked up some of the fat free ones. They aren't as good as the regular ones but they are much better for me.

I feel the same way about poached fish. I can handle poached eggs, but I want my fish baked, grilled, or fried. LOL And I haven't had any fried fish here at home for years.

It really wasn't bad guys, I had the same thought going into dinner, but I just ate it, and it wasn't bad, believe me. I have to wonder how many nutrients got flushed with the poaching, but a little salt and pepper and it was fine. I make so much funky stuff that I can't hold poached fish against Bruce.

Jade, you probably are right about the nutrients being flushed. It's the "funky stuff" that keeps things interesting sometimes. LOL

Hmm, gotta think about dinner tonight now. Rock, our cat, is here next to me wanting to be brushed, but dinner is on my mind.

Did you check out that site? It has some great recipes, and another one is the cooking light magazine site.

Ok, now this poached fish sounds better than Bruce's...so I will give this one a try next time. Sounds like you eat the broth right along with the fish and veggies, then you don't lose the nutrients.

Poached Fish with Napa Cabbage

Enjoy this meal in one that supplies a rich source of vitamins C and K as well as selenium and B vitamins. Our Healthy Stir-Fry method makes it even healthier as it uses no heated oils.

Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
4 cups finely shredded napa cabbage
1 lb thick cod filet, or halibut cut into 1½ inch pieces
1 TBS + 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 TBS fresh minced fresh ginger
1 cup chopped scallion
1 medium sized tomato seeds removed and chopped
1 ½ TBS chopped fresh mint
2 TBS fresh lime juice
2 cups mung bean sprouts, chopped (Lay out pile of sprouts on cutting board and chop just a couple of times so they aren't as long as usual.)
salt and white pepper to taste
1 TBS toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

Press garlic and shred cabbage and let them sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their health-promoting benefits.
Heat 1 TBS broth in a stainless steel wok or large stainless steel skillet. Healthy Stir-Fry ginger and fish in broth for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Add rest of broth and bring to a simmer on high heat for about 3 minutes.
Add scallion, tomato, mint, lime juice, Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts salt and pepper. You want the cabbage and sprouts to remain crisp, about 3 minutes.
Mix, and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and spoon into bowls. Top with sesame seeds.

Serves 4

Sounds like we may be having a Volvo dinner here tonight again. It has been a while, so I am excited to see some old familiars from back home. Hope they don't mind my heart healthy recipes, ha. Oh well, they will be fine. Lots of them could stand to lose a few pounds anyway.
Menu so far is:
Grilled chicken
Tossed Salad
Potato pouches on the grill
Maybe a quinoa salad...wonder who would try it? I would
Fresh fruit salad

Down 4 pounds, this is a good thing. I am sure that hauling around 6 yards of mulch didn't hurt a bit.

Jade, you are doing great. I am at a stand still. I just can't seem to get passed where I am at right now.

Tilapia Tacos with Avocado, Corn Salsa

Blue here is what I did for these. It was good but I really didn't have a recipe.

Grilled Tilapia

I mixed up about 1 to 2 tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. cayenne, 1/4 tsp. garlic, 1 to 2 tsp. olive oil, and the juice of 1 lemon. Mixed that up and put in 2 (6oz) pieces of tilapia. I let it sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Cook on grill at 350 degrees. 4 minutes on each side. Flake the fish onto cooked corn tortillas.

Avocado, Corn Salsa

1 can whole kernel corn drained well, 1 ripe avocado diced, 1 can (4oz.) diced green chilies, about 1/4 cup chopped onions (green or red), 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, juice of 1 large lemon or lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste. If you want add 1 jalapeno diced fine.

Here is the recipe for the quinoa salad that I am going to start on right now.

Quinoa Black Bean Salad
Recipe #152136 | 15 min | 10 min prep | add private note
| Edit...
My Notes:

My Notes
ONLY YOU see your private notes, and they print with the recipe.

Save NoteCancel

(13) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe
Your review has been submitted for approval and will appear shortly.

By: dicentra
Jan 18, 2006

This is really easy to make. There were no leftovers! What a great combination of flavors and textures. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.
SERVES 4 -6 (change servings and units)

Change to: Servings US Metric
1 2 3 4 5 clear stars

Write a Review! (optional)

SubmitCancel
Ingredients
1/3 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1 tablespoon fresh minced cilantro
2 tablespoons minced scallions
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup diced bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno chiles
salt and pepper
Directions
1. Cook the quinoa in the water. Allow to cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro and scallions.
3. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, bell peppers and chilies.
4. Add the cooled quinoa.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve cold

The Volvo crowd was really into the heart healthy stuff, ha. I explained all of it to them and they were very receptive, noone even asked for french fries or chips. Bruce brought home appetizers, chips, dip and cashews, after ten minutes they walked away. The tossed salad, romaine, sweet onions, mandarin oranges, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds was demolished with my homemade balsamic vinigrette dressing. It was another fun party. We finished them off on the Wii Rock Band in the finished part of the basement. Gotta say, I love the company parties.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back