Hello to all....

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I love the designation the Texas Rangerette! I'll take that designation any day....As for policing members on a gardening site, naw....that's not necessary. Maybe policing my plant obsession is! :rolleyes: :p

As a Texas Rangerette and Texas Yankee, will I ever be qualified to be a TRUE southern belle???? :D :cool:

Gloria, my dear friend, I hope you know I love you DEARLY! :)

Sorry Susan I don't think you will make it becoming a TRUE Southern belle. You either are born a Southern belle being born in the Deep South or it takes years of training to qualify. When you think of a Southern belle you think of Southern hospitality. Being a Southern belle is handed down along with training from one generation to the next. Each generation passes on the skills of that wonderful and gracious Southern hospitality. It's a learned behavior starting at a very young age.

P.S. Y'all corsetts and crinolines are not in vogue right now, you can still be a Southern belle without them. But y'all come back now yah hear.

Last edited:
Those corsetts and crinolines can get you. Y'all come back here with the wave of the gloved hand is how we do it.

Dor!!! I am in shock!!! You failed!!! I'm surprised, you have been in Texas tooo long..It's .."Y'all come back now, ya hear?" LOL...but I give you a C for the gloved hand.:D

Ok Gloria.lol All it takes to get my act together is to take a road trip to visit my mother.

Dale, you are absolutely right but dear Susan will be crushed. I was trying to give her some encouragement and hope! Besides, I wanted to hear her remediation of a southern belle!

You want ME to wear a corset and crinoline? :eek: :p Is this a prison sentence because I think that a corset and crinoline are not so far removed from a prison sentence. :eek:

Gloria, my dear friend, I cannot tell a lie.....In all honesty, I seriously doubt that I can evah say y'all and sound like a true southern woman! I don't think I have that horrible Chi-CA GHO accent, but I sure don't have a southern accent! I think I probably sound like I came from No Man's Land!

I guess I'll have to resign myself to forevah being a southern belle wannabe! :eek:

I luvs you dearly, too, Gloria! Thanks for cracking me up! :D

This dialogue is really fun to read. My Mom was not a southern belle, but she surely was a farm girl. She was a worker that would and could put many a modern man to shame in that regard.

Debe, I can't use the quick reply or edit a post. But other than being unable to correct a typo, it's really no big deal. If it ever bothers me enough, I'll look into fixing it.

Horror or all horrors!

Dale and Gloria, I AM crushed! I didn't see "Gone for the Wind" for the first time until very recently! That's MY idea of a southern belle, and that's the belle I WANNABE.....

Where I come from, young girls were sent to charm school. I don't know whether it was supposed to be a privilege, but my sister and I, and I'm sure some of our friends all viewed it as punishment. We'd have to get all dressed up with white gloves and all that nasty stuff.

There's something about that deep southern hospitality. It sure makes a person feel welcome and right at home -- even if they are thousands of miles from their home. The two of you have made me feel very much at home right here! So has everyone else. Maybe we've got our own little haven of southern hospitality right here!

Debe, I can't use the quick reply or edit a post. But other than being unable to correct a typo, it's really no big deal. If it ever bothers me enough, I'll look into fixing it.

you mean you don't type every thing correctly the first time...;)

I wish more kids were sent to charm school these days!! Some kids just don't act like they have been taught any manners at all!! I am working with my granddaughter, age 9 right now. Nothing formal.. just going over the regualar things. She is not in Girls Scouts either and I remember when I was in GS we were taught that kind of thing. How to set a table, no burpling at the table etc, you know.. manners! LOL

Susan it is great to see you here. I'm gone a couple of days and look what I miss. Ya'll come back now

Thanks!

Good to see you here, too, Lynn! We're practically neighbors, you know! Are you still going to school?

This winter is totally freakish. I keep thinking to myself that my husband and I moved SOUTH from Iowa to get away from that. :eek:

By the way, aren't you a transplanted Yankee Midwesterner too? ;)

I can't remember, Susan. If she did, maybe she will admit it now. I pass them out rather freely, you know. LOL

Chattycarnation I am all with you on that. I see more and more children not being taught manners. My oldest grandsons ages 11 & 9 sure could use the Boy Scouts, Boys Club of American, Track and Field, anything to keep them active and learn how to get along in the world. I always made sure my children were active even when they didn't want to be. They learned lot of things like how to conduct themselves in public, manners (in addition to my strick upbringing). My youngest daughter has told her close friend that her daughters need to come to Dorothy Rose's bootcamp. I am too old now to be doing this but those girls need some discipline and their mom lets them get away with murder and she is only hurting them in the long run. They have to obey when they come to my house.

Well disciplined children that are taught the basics make great employers as well as great employees. We as America need more well brought up children in the world today.

Dale AMEN!!!
My nephew burps at the table and his parents don't say a word to him. Most of the time he burps on purpose too. He has just joined cub scouts so hopefully he will learn some manners though them.
I should mention that I did hear my brother tell his son that he needs to learn some manners. That was a few weeks ago.
He burped on purpose at the dinner table tonight, it was only pizza but it was dinner.
We would never dare to do that when we were at the dinner table. I see alot of kids with no manners and also lots of teenagers and young adults have no respect for their elders. We were always helping out my grandparents and others but it's like pulling teeth to get one of the older nephews to help their grandparents or aunt. I can't get my 28 yr old godson over here to help me. It really bothers me as I've done alot for him all his life. Mentioned something to his mother and she never said a word back to me about it. It's the way the kids are bought up now. I've seen young kids walking the streets at night, no adults in sight. It's a shame on how alot of the younger generation are now adays. They have no respect for anything or anyone.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back