Help!! Does anyone grow Peonies?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Trax

Last summer my Peonies totally died but they came back this year. We've had sun and 100's for more than a week and they're starting to burn really bad. They're in full sun. Should I transplant them to a shady garden? What can I do to save them and get them to flower?
Any help will be very very appreciated. :)

Here's what they look like today.

7681293996_246fab9760_z.jpg

Z007 by Trax, on Flickr

August is a good time to move them since they have already produced buds for next year! They do like partial shade so a spot that gets morning sun and afternoon shade would be ideal.
When transplanting them make sure the new buds (just below the soil surface) are no deeper then one inch below the soil surface! Any deeper and they will not bloom!

Thanks! :D I know just where I can put them. Where my canas are surviving the heat and there's tons of room there too.

Trax listen to Ron about how deep. I planted some too deep and had to go back and remove some soil to get them to bloom. Yeah afternoon shade is a good them where you live. Good luck boy.

This is one of the main perennial question I am asked on a yearly basis (Why won't my peonies bloom?) #2 question is: (Why do my peonies look so badly?)
The answers are so well ingrained they flow off my lips without having to think about it!! :eek:

It worked! :D I removed some of the soil and forced them up higher in the ground with the shovel blade. Now they're very healthy and producing awesome blooms!
I didn't move them but now they're getting shade from the yellow rose bush and no more issues with dried leaves.
Thanks for the advice guys! :) Here's a picture I took today.

14453140657_d927b7b4a5_o.jpg

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back