Help! Katsura tree roots invaded my tiny front lawn

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

jbee

We have a tiny lawn in front of our townhouse, it is about 3m x 6m, and 2/3 of it is covered by our Katsura tree's roots. I moved in with my husband a year ago, and I'm just starting to learn how to garden. I want to make our little lawn look nice but I can't think of any way to do it except for putting mulch, but I really want something nice under there without chopping the tree. Would putting a light amount of top soil, then planting creepers on top be ok? Or just be nice and put mulch on top and potted plants around the tree as well? My husband tried planting grass on there but of course it just looks patchy and sad. Thanks in advance!

-newbie gardener in Maryland

Hi JB,

Katsura is a pretty tree. It would be a shame t remove it.
You could raise the soil level a couple of inches using a good soil mix.
If you would like grass, buy a seed mix that grows in shade.
Or, you can select a few ground cover type perennials that require mostly shade. such as dwarf hostas, european ginger, perennial geraniums (dwarf varieties), the list of possible plants large so best to visit local garden centres and ask them which would be best for your area.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back