Help, Losing the War on Aphids :(

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

epiphyte

I can't get rid of these little buggers and have tried everything.

1) Can't do lady bugs since I'm too high up and it's way too breezy, I tried this 3 times, got 500-1000 ladybugs, and they all flew away after about a day, tried spraying their wings with coke, refrigerating beforehand so they settle in for the night, didn't work :(

2) Don't like neem oil since it gets everything sticky, and burns my plants. Also does not seem to work too well since it requires physical contact with the insects

So right now I covered all my planters with a layer of sand, and I've been doing a mild soap spray every other day, I still have aphids outside and inside the apartment (little flying black bugs, and the larvae stuff on leaves), but they're still coming back! I don't know where they're hiding.

:confused::confused::confused:

Do you have a picture of these bugs? Sounds like they might be aphids, they only fly for a day or so. They're not very often black either. Photo would really hep with ID.

If they are aphids all the treatments you used would have worked!
A close-up photo would be very helpful!

I will try to get a photo of the next one I squish, they're little winged black insects. I thought they were the mature form of aphids, the little crawly ones that I see on my leaves.

I thought the flying ones laid eggs on plants and in soil, then aphids emerge.

di18318enz.gif

Okay got it!

img0420medium.jpg

Squished one on the side of my watering can

img0422medium.jpg

Macro with flash on

They're really small, size of a tiny black spec. Photos are just really magnified/zoomed. I did a Google search, could be a fungus gnat?

Last edited:
Nice close ups!!!
Looks just like the soil gnats I get, but their larvae are ground dwellers feeding on fungi in the soil ...thus the other name Fungus Gnats.
I don't do anything about them because they are more of a aggravation then a problem!
There are soil treatments to control them but off the top, you'll need to talk to a garden centre person for the product!

The pest on the leaves is sonething else. Can you get a close up of the ones on the leaves?

I'm surprised they dig in the soil, I have a layer of 1-2" sand in all of my indoor planters! They shouldn't be able to crawl out. I may get some diatomaceous earth over the weekend. TY for the tip, I kept thinking they were aphids.

Ughhh the gnats are all over the apartment, flying back and forth around my head :(

(1) I ordered a stack of yellow sticky paper off Amazon
(2) Filled a sprayer with 1/4 H2O2 3% mix

It's not over until one of us is dead in the ground. *Game Face* :mad:

we used sand on top of our plants dirt, you have to cover all the dirt. when they hatch they crawl out and get cut up and die. For the greenhouse I got a fungiside and sprayed.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back