Help me ID these birds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

I have had these birds for several years now and I think they are so pretty.. I was told at one time they were purple martins but now someone else has tell they aren't. So does anyone know for sure what they are.

Attachments

• bird 1.jpg
    bird 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 302
  • bird 4.jpg
    bird 4.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 303

Spider_Lily

Those are what we call Purple Martins.They come here around the first of Feb.The scouts come first then the females.:)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have Purple Martins house up and the sparrows will not give them up for the Purple Martins when they come. Purple Martin's eat their weight in mosquitoes or nearly. It's said that one bird eats 2000 mosquitoes a day.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I would love to have the Purple Martin's take up residence at my house. Our friends live about a mile from our house and they have lots and lots of those mosquito eating birds. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Kya D

OMGosh Randy we have a gazillion barn swallows I will try to tell them that you are looking for more. Hopefully they will head your way

Kya D

I really like them, we just can't let them nest where they can sit and poop on people beneath

Maggie

I found this on the site that Kya D posted. Thats my birds. Thanks Kya D
The Tree Swallow is a migratory bird that breeds in North America and winters in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. This five inch long bird has a tiny bill, blue green coat of feathers, white breast and slightly forked tail. The female has duller colors than the male while the juvenile has a dull grayish brown coat and gray breast. They nest in natural or artificial cavities near water and often in large flocks. They also nest in boxes built for bluebirds. The nest of the tree swallow is made of layers of grasses, thin twigs and feathers from other species. The adult female lays four to seven white eggs that hatch in fourteen days. The baby birds are blind and bald when born.

Attachments

• Tree-Swallow_small.jpg
    Tree-Swallow_small.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 270

Kya D

Maggie that's the one alright... They really are cute little things, We have barn swallows and cliff swallows here but not tree swallows

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com