Help me identify please

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found this bush growing in the edge of the woods by my house. I didn't plant it...I don't think!:eek:
It has leaves similiar to a Butterfly bush but they seem to be slightly varigated. The flowers form a tower of three or four high, each growing from a stem from the center of the flower below it. It's very unusaul...I'm trying to root cuttings. Does anyone know what it could be?

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 284
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a type of monarda.
Monarda punctata to be exact!
Common name is 'Spotted Horsemint'.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's it!! With a name, I was able to look it up. Thanks Ron. You were also right KYA, it's also known as spotted bee balm. I'd never seen one before so I was curious to know. I know I didn't plant it so a bird must have dropped a seed!! The article I read said that the leaves could be used as a substitute for oregano. I think I'll just enjoy looking at it and the butterflies it attracts!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the leaves would be better used to make tea!;)
I wondered why they called it horsemint?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com