Help!!!! Passion vines!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Trax

I helped rescue some plants called Passion vines and got to take 6 of them home in a pot! :D But I dont know anything about how to take care of them indoors for the winter. They are called Passiflora Caerulea. If anybody knows how to keep them alive in the winter, I would def appreciate any info or advice! :) Here's a photo. The pot is 9 inches wide.

5140570733_791df36420.jpg

To see a bigger photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gopikom/

Sunny window.
Let the soil surface dry before watering.
You can clip any of the runners if they get too long, or use some of your bamboo stakes!
Use a water soluable fert like 10-30-15 ....only while actively growing, none if it desides to go into a rest period!
If happy they will bloom indoors!

Sweet! Thanx Ron! :) I will def get some fertilizer this weekend and I'll check first to see if it's growing before I use it! We have lots of sunny windows here! Also, I'm gonna keep adding bamboo pieces so it will grow up like a bush! :D

Josh,
They will eventually produce seed pods and can become invasive. If you keep them in a pot , make sure to pull babies from the ground. If you want to avoid that altogether, just snip pods as you see them;)

Pods!? Wow! :D I will def watch for that! I'm getting that the pods are full of seeds(?) Invasive? How do they spread?

I am zone 3 so all my plants come into my sunroom for the window. I have them in a southwest window and they love it. Depending on how much light they get it might flower for you in the winter. I usually get a couple of flowers. In the summmer I put mine outside in it's pot under an arbour where it gets shade and it blooms continually. Yours may or may not drop it's leaves because of bringing it in. If it does don't panic just trim it down. Oh yes before I set it outside I give it a real good trimming and get rid of all the lanky vines. Good Luck and enjoy it. Here is picture of one of mine.

Attachments

• Outside 011.jpg
    Outside 011.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 294
Passion flowers produce a fruit..a pod about the size of a large lemon. Yep, it's filled with seeds and when the pod dries and falls off, the seeds are spread. Passion flowers grow wild in my area and can be very invasive. I transplanted 1 by my back fence and before the summer was over I had dozens which I pulled up and destroyed. They're very pretty and easy to grow. You have the right idea to plant in containers...much easier to contain.

Thanks for the info guyz! :)
Kinnika,
Wow! That looks exactly like my neighbors flowers! And she's the one that gave me the vines! Thanks for sharing! I'm def gonna do it that way, keep it in a pot with lots of sun in the winter! I'll post some pics if it blooms! :D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back