Help! Purchased bad "black" compost soil

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SCGardeningMama

New to gardening and tried to make our first raised beds this year. We called around asking for soil/compost for vegetable gardening in raised beds and had it delivered. It looked very black and we filled the beds. But once I started working with it my hands would almost be stain black...later after rain/water the very back soil started to show brown wood chips, red clay chunks, and even white/gray rocks... Seems like it was "painted" and not sure how or with what?? Or if it's safe?? I had planted all my seedlings into these beds (tomatoes, zucchini and bell peppers) but they haven't really grown much if at all. :( There growth is stunted, yellowish leaves, no flowering. I've tried using liquid fertilizer and adding worm castings so far.
Is there anything I can do to fix the soil now? Or can I ammend this soil to plant fall crops? Or is it ruined by whatever black powder they put on it. So upset we tried to ordered soil specifically for my raised beds and were sold a bad product.
IMG_20200508_101654.jpg

IMG_20200615_133934.jpg
IMG_20200615_134814.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi SCG!
Welcome to our forum!
I do not believe the black dust is bad, it would be mostly carbon. It is more than likely crushed charcoal. or black loam soil!
I think the real issue is that the 'soil' you purchased was not screened to remove stones, and large wood chips. Small pieces of clay is alright
Ordering soil by phone, and have it delivered, can be risky since you did not see what it looked like before buying. Best to go to local company first to see what they have, ask questions as to the composition
It is difficult to give you a concrete solution to your issues.
I'm thinking a triple mix which can be 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 peat most, 1/3 compost...the compost can be composted manure, and, or leaves and other organic matter...look for composted sheep manure since it tends to be free of weed seeds.
You cover your soil with 3 inches of triple mix.....

Hope this helps.

Ron

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com