Help w/Morning Glorys

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SandiB

How do I get rid of out of control Morning Glorys in my vegtable garden? We did pulling & digging up starts at the beginning...but they really did take over quick!!
Is there anything we can do to the soil to prevent them returning before next garden season?

If I cannot get control of the mg's..I will NOT plant a garden next yr...its that bad..:(

Appreciate any help.

Thanks ♥

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are they the annual type or the native perennial type?
If it's the perennial type, let them grow. You can then use roundup, which will kill the root system.

SandiB

They are an annual morning glory that do re-seed...so does that make them perennial? Each yr they come back more & more..last season was OUT of control!
And this is in my vegetable garden area.

Thanks

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rule out the round-up!
Annual type
Guess you will just need to live with them, or continue weeding them out!
You could use a large black tarp to cover the whole veggie garden, and solarize it!
The heat will speed up the germination and kill the emerging seedlings! Leave it on for a couple of months!

Kya D

Maybe if you can keep them from blooming they won't reseed and you could control them that way. maybe you could mow them
We have wild morning glory aka bindweed they are terrible if they take hold.
Are your MG the kind ya plant on purpose like Grandpa Ott or star of yelta

SandiB

Maybe if you can keep them from blooming they won't reseed and you could control them that way. maybe you could mow them
We have wild morning glory aka bindweed they are terrible if they take hold.
Are your MG the kind ya plant on purpose like Grandpa Ott or star of yelta

We really did try to hoe & pick & pull & dig to get control of the mg's in the veg garden...but they won. Couldn't mow because we had planted our garden..thinking we did get control...and continued to fight the battle when more showed up. The mg's are not wild..they are from my yard that has spread..and spread & spread.

I am Ok w/no veg garden next year....until we get our space back free of mg's its not worth the time or $$ to try to grow again.

SandiB

Besides...harvest this season was not so good anyhow..and that wasn't ALL the mg's fault.

Appreciate everyones comments/help.

Last edited:
OH MY , if its the wild white ones , i dont know if you will ever get them gone , we were fighting with them at our other place , they have thick white roots that just go everywhere , i have the same thing with some hosta that was here , i hope one day we will get it all out .

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
this is the exact reason they are not allowed to be shipped to AZ ..I love them myself but unless oyu keep up on them ...pulling all babies--weeding them out-- then they can take over....I don;t have that trouble up here in PNW...but when in Southern Oregon and North California ...was a ig problem...I am Organic so I just pulled all unwanted sprouts

shadylane5acres

Nancy are you thinking of the bindweed? They are more troublesome than morning glories and been know to overgrow many crops. When one pulls them out of the ground they often grow into many new individuals.

all i know is most folks here call them wild morning glorys , the vine looks like MG and has a white MG looking flower , it wraps around everything it comes close to , and when ever we yanked it out , had white thick roots .

shellezgarden

Morning glories

Hi Nancy,
That is a weed that's in the morning glory family. In the past I've used a stick stuck in the ground right near it, leave it for a week or two when the morning glory starts climbing the stick you can then hit it with your round up. This will protect the other plants around it and will also kill it down to the roots.

This has worked for me it just takes time. Maybe just pull them out for now, but next summer when it's warmer you can use this method.

Shelley

Jade

The bindweed is way outta control. At our house in Ontario there were some blue rug junipers planted as a ground cover in a bed...well, the bindweed got in there and OMgosh what a huge pain! Couldn't get the roots if you pulled them and the only way to get rid of them was to paint the roundup on with a brush. I will never plant another spreading juniper without putting Landscape fabric down. And I am not a lover of landscape fabric.

Botann

Common names breed confusion.
Ipomoea. Garden variety that you see in garden catalogs. Grandpa Ott is one. Annual.
Not a problem.
Convolvulus arvensis. Commonly called Field Bindweed. It's a perennial that grows from
rhizomes and forms a flat carpet. White to rose colored blooms.
Can be a problem in fields and orchards.
Convolvulus sepium. It too, grows from rhizomes with the addition of having the ability
to twine and climb. That's the one you probably have. Roundup
only wounds it. Sure, it will work, but it takes numerous
applications. Use a broadleaf weed killer like Crossbow or
one that says it kills Blackberries. Do not fight it with a hoe or
shovel. Every little piece missed will sprout. If you choose not
to use herbicide, use a garden fork and be persistent. Covering
with plastic or cardboard seems to encourage it. Been there,
done that.
Mike

Kya D

Mike you are so right about that stinkin bind weed it is terrible.
We have that awful stuff here too.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com