Help with my bonsai

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

crimon

Hello I'm new here and i joined because i want to request your help for my Bonsai.
Oce2hGM.jpg

This is my bonsai. I identified its species as a Crassula Bonsai because it seemed closest to the photos on the internet.
I received it as a gift two years ago and it barely grew since then. I changed its pot last year and we water it once every two weeks in the summer and once every three in the winter.(It's about 15 cm long now) It did grow its branches since they're really green and thin however the leaves fall from time to time and they barely grow back. Also the leaves usually grow only at the top of the branches? It has tiny leaf sprouts too on the sides of the branches but they're so small and take forever to grow, usually dying before they reach a decent size. My mom really loves our Bonsai and she's sad whenever she sees its leaves falling out. We have plenty of light and it's not too cold. Usually the temperature in the summer is about 25C or above because we have really hot summers but we keep it on our balcony in full light. And during winter the temperature is about 15C or so. It did not whither or rot either but it does not even grow? Only the branches grew a little. Underneath the windowsill that it's sitting on there's a heater that is really warm during winter but it just keeps the balcony warm enough for our plants. Our apartment faces the North so we don't have FULL sunlight all the time but we usually get a lot of light especially during midday. We bought this fertiliser but we did not use it yet. I read on it it has to be mixed with 5L of water and watered once every month. I'm waiting on your opinions and tips! Please help our bonsai grow leaves! We love him very much.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Crimom!
Welcome to our forum!
Crassulas tend to grow naturally like a bonsai.
Your plant looks like it is struggling.
Lack of nutrients in the soil can cause stunting of the growth, as does not enough sunlight and moisture.
You may need to increase the light as well as the frequency of watering.
Fertilizing is needed. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of fertilizer to one litre of water would be ideal once a month while it is actively growing....
Watering: once a week would be better during the summer months...once every 2 weeks during the winter months.

crimon

Hi Crimom!
Welcome to our forum!
Crassulas tend to grow naturally like a bonsai.
Your plant looks like it is struggling.
Lack of nutrients in the soil can cause stunting of the growth, as does not enough sunlight and moisture.
You may need to increase the light as well as the frequency of watering.
Fertilizing is needed. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of fertilizer to one litre of water would be ideal once a month while it is actively growing....
Watering: once a week would be better during the summer months...once every 2 weeks during the winter months.
Thank you ! <3

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com