Help!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Blue aussie Your poor cold frame
I am thankful that a neighbor child could help you get it back in place and anchored down.

Wes glad you concurred. It's 38.5 right now here on my back deck. Suppose to get to 32 tonight. That is cold for us here in SC this time of year. Still very windy and to continue being windy. I hope the wind does continue and we won't have a problem here tonight. We have small figs on our fig trees we have a chance of loosing.

There was an article on line today at WLTX.com that said we've had an April freeze for the last 3 years in a row in the midlands of South Carolina, and that it's been thirty years since that has happened. I didn't put any tender plants in the ground this year because I got caught two years ago and lost some plants.

Blue aussie Your poor cold frame
I am thankful that a neighbor child could help you get it back in place and anchored down.

Yeah, that must have been some gust of wind!

The neighbor child has been my Puppy Au Pair since she was about 10 or 11 and takes really good care of the cats and dogs when I travel. Her home situation is not so good, so she gradually started spending more time over in my yard. Until, that is, puberty hit hard. Now I have to compete with boys and texting for garden help. She's a good child, but she can drive me crazy with all the boy chatter sometimes.

Susan did it freeze where you are? It only got down to 37 here. I brought the small things in and hope nothing to big to bring in or in the ground froze. I will check later. It is warming up fairly good here now. up to 47 now. I wouldn't worry about the rose of sharon. I've never had a problem with mine and I don't cover them. It was my blooming tomatoes I was worried about

It sure did freeze here, Lyn! It got down to 28 degrees. This is incredibly weird for now...and to think that tomorrow night, I may wind up using the a/c.

The ROS weren't harmed a bit, but I was worried about the buds that have already started to develop. The things that I covered were apparently well protected. When I went to uncover them this morning, it was as though they had been protected by a little greenhouse. The hibiscus leaned over a bit -- probably because the top of the bags didn't leave enough room. The sun has restored them nicely though. All seems fine. Thankfully!!!!!!!!!!

I watered some of the pots that were bone dry, and that must have helped to keep the greenhouse type effect in the bags.

Blue I haven't planted anything either here in Florence. I hate I have figs on my fig trees. If the wind stays up good chance we won't have frost. Am going to be optomistic.

Gloria have you got all your plants protected.

Well we are expecting a 32 +or- event tonight. Like Dale we are very windy, which will prevent any frost from settling. However if it drops below 30 tender foliages will be susceptable. Lukily our Japanese Maples haven't leafed out yet, as these can be injured seriously by freezes if leafed out. Everything else thats out should weather the weather ok. I just got in from a hurried harvest of my asparagus....hit it heavy.... my second mess.... as I will lose any above ground spears if we do get a freeze. I will feast tonight tho many were pretty short. But I figured if I left them out for later harvest I would lose em any way.

Wes our Japanese Red Maple is beautiful right now. Am hoping for the best tonight.

Hope all goes well with each of you tonight with your plants.

I am so sorry for all the cold you all down south are dealing with, it's bitter here too, but e don't set anything tender out until the first weeks of May. It's been miserable here too. My furnace should have stopped running a week ago and it's been on all day. Warm weather wishes to all of you!!!!!!!!!

Susan I didn't lose anything. It didn't hurt my tomatos either. I was worried but I'm happy that it is over again. We are going to have great weather this week.

Wes, you ought to be ashamed of yourself for not inviting me to partake in your asparagus harvest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roasting it, I presume?

Didn't have time for a thorough look around this morning, but the things I checked came though ok. The weigela blooms were fine, as was the hosta. Nothing in the front yard looked nipped, and it was 35 F.

I'll look around more after work, but it looks like we made it through the cold in my area.

Some patches of grass are brown but the fig tree and others looks like weathered the low temps last night. Bring on the warm temps.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back