Herb for shady area?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kchar

Hi, everyone! I have a raised bed vegetable garden. One small corner (about 3' by 6') is now in relative shade (adjacent tree grew larger than anticipated!). I have enough remaining vege garden space that I am not worried about this portion, but I would like to utilize it. Are there herbs that do good in a shady area, or a vegetable? Thanks (as always) for your help.

~Kimberly

Blueaussi

Mints, bee balm, some sages, anise hyssop, chives,sweet woodruff, and lemon balm will all tolerate shade. Here in the south, bee balm actually needs some shade; but I have a friend in Vermont who has the largest bee balm I've ever seen, and hers is in full sun.

Oregano does better in full sun, but can tolerate partial or light shade.

Kchar

Thank you so much! Those would be great, and the raised beds will keep some of the more invasive varieties contained. I appreciate the input!

~Kimberly

Kya D

Here are some ideas
Sweet woodruff
Anise hyssop
Wild ginger
Parsley
Shiso
Lemon balm
Spicebush

gonepostal

Kchar-------just a note-----mints will spread everywhere!!!! Unless you dont mind it taking over your grden-it's best to keep them in their own separate containers.

Kya------this wild ginger--can it grow anywhere--or does it have to be a "warmer" climate?

Blueaussi

You know, a lot of people complain about mint, but I've never really seen it as a problem. Yes, it runs, but I let it run under shrubs and established perennials. If it gets too big, I yank a handful out. If it runs into the grass, well, it smells good when I mow.

SandiB

You know, a lot of people complain about mint, but I've never really seen it as a problem.

I agree! If my mints grow outside their area I either dig up & transplant somewhere else or freecycle.
The mint is by the deck step so when you walk on or off the deck and brush against it or the wind blows...its sooo nice to smell :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com