Hey Treeman!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

FishinBC

My poor japanese maple didn't make that freeze we had a couple years ago:(. We have replaced with a dappled willow that I love but have no clue when and how to trim it back, which it needs really bad now. can you help me?:eek:

Papa2mykids

Hi Cheri,

I'm not the treeman, but here ya go.

They can be pruned anytime for shape and color.

You may give it a severe prune now and again during the season for color.

You may want to keep pruning to give it or keep a shape.

A fast growing shrub/tree, you can cut anytime.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

treeman

Sorry

Hey Cheri, Good to see FishinBC again... its been quite a while. Welcome. Sorry I failed to respond to this thread. I've not been on a lot lately. Looks like Ron has given more than adequate advice. I'll leave it at that.

Hope to see you around more,

Wes

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's perfect advice on staying on top a fast growing 'weed' tree!
Try to wait until it is in full foliage before pruning it, as the cut ends will bleed sap for a few weeks!

Bernie

I picked up a tiny piece of this strub on the ground at a nursery about 18 months ago. It rooted and is now about a foot and a half tall. Before I decide where to put it in the ground can someone tell me how big will this shrub get? How tall? How wide? Right now it has a main leader with a few tiny branches. Will it bush out on it's own or should I prune it?

FishinBC

Thanks all! I whacked it back pretty hard just before to sprouted the start of leafs a few days ago. This one is on a tree graft and my whacking seems to have had no ill effects on it. thanks again. Nice to see you to Wes!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com