Recipe Homemade Authentic Guacamole Recipe

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

S

Sweet Basil

Homemade Authentic Guacamole Recipe

This homemade authentic guacamole recipe is fresh, flavorful and so easy to make you’ll never need to buy guacamole again! And it’s only 3 ingredients!!!

Easy Guacamole Recipe

Every year I mean to post an easy guacamole recipe as it’s something we make all summer long, but I make it, we can’t wait to dig in and it’s gone.

The best guacamole recipe is a classic one. If you want a bacon guacamole, I’ve got it. This isn’t that.

How do you Make Guacamole from Scratch?

I have watched every single table-side guacamole being made, I’ve asked my friends who are native to Mexico, I’ve been to Mexico a lot and thoroughly research and a truly authentic guacamole from scratch is actually just a few ingredients:

1. Avocados
  2. Salt
  3. Lime Juice
  4. Cilantro

authentic-guacamole-recipe-8.jpg

How to Make Guacamole

1. Cut open the avocados and remove the pit by hitting the pit with a sharp knife and then twisting to remove. Scoop the flesh into a bowl.
  2. Add chopped cilantro and juice of 1/2 a lime. Sprinkle in a good pinch of salt.
  3. Begin to mash with a fork or use a Mortar and Pestal.
  4. Taste and add more lime juice if it doesn’t taste very fresh and bright and more salt if it isn’t very flavorful, stirring instead of mashing at this point.
  5. Serve with chips!

authentic-guacamole-recipe-6.jpg

Guacamole Add-ins

Sometimes you want to play around with flavor a little more which is totally fine. Try these simple to more extreme additions.

• Pepper
  • Jalapeno
  • Onions or Onion Powder
  • Garlic or Garlic Powder
  • Chili Powder
  • Tomatoes
  • Pineapple
  • Mango
  • Bacon

authentic-guacamole-recipe-10.jpg

Is Guacamole Healthy?

Guacamole is packed with health benefits.

The avocado in guacamole provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber.

How Long Will Guacamole Keep?

Homemade guacamole will keep for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.

Store-bought guacamole that is unopened will last for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Once it is opened, it should be eaten within 2 days.

authentic-guacamole-recipe-4.jpg

Can You Eat Guacamole That Has Turned Dark?

Even though dark guacamole doesn’t look very appetizing, it is still safe to eat.

Oxidation, or exposure to air is what turns an avocado or guacamole brown or black.

If it is slightly discolored, you can still eat it, although the flavor may be a little different.

How to Store Guacamole

Guacamole oxidizes really dang quick which makes it turn brown so storing leftover guacamole properly is key. The lime juice helps slow this process, but it’s inevitable that leftover guacamole will eventually start to brown.

False Ways to Keep Guacamole Green

• Leaving the pit in the guacamole- This does nothing to prevent browning and there’s no scientific justification for doing this.
  • Lemon juice- Naaah- it changes the flavor and the acid still won’t help.
  • Plastic Wrap- Yes, plastic wrap helps but stretching it over the bowl is not going to save it.
authentic-guacamole-recipe-2.jpg

How Do You Keep Guacamole from Turning Brown

• Place your leftover guacamole in a plastic or glass storage container and smooth it with a spoon so it’s nice and flat.
  • Add a little cold water on top.
  • Gently lay plastic wrap over allowing it to touch the water and create a seal.
  • Place the lid on the storage container and store it in the fridge.

Ready to enjoy the guacamole again? Drain the water off the top, give it a gentle and quick stir and you’re good to go.

Can You Freeze Guacamole

Yes!! You can freeze guacamole but you should really use a vacuum sealer like our favorite Food Saver which I cannot live without. To merely place in a ziploc bag is ok for a week but ice crystals will form.

authentic-guacamole-recipe-4-500x500.jpg

Print

Guacamole

Course 30+ Easy Dip Recipes You Can't Stop Eating
Cuisine Mexican
Prep Time 10 minutes
Calories 1305kcal
Ingredients

• 4 Avocados large
  • 1/2-1 Lime juiced
  • 1 Handful Cilantro fresh, minced
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 Clove Garlic optional
  • 1 dash Chili Powder optional
Instructions

• Place the avocados, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl and use a fork to mash. Season to taste with salt.
  • Optional, you can add garlic and chili powder for more flavor if you’re looking to kick things up.
Nutrition

Calories: 1305kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 118g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 76mg | Potassium: 3899mg | Fiber: 55g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1740IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 5mg

READ: Homemade Authentic Guacamole Recipe

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back