Homemade Greenhouse

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I know... this is a greenhorn greenhouse but it's a beginning. RJ and I are planning to start tomato seeds in here as well as a few other things.

Attachments

• grrenhouse 002 img.jpg
    grrenhouse 002 img.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 536
  • bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 512
  • grrenhouse 006bench.jpg
    grrenhouse 006bench.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 559

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's an idea for an aquarium that's no longer used. Lined the inside with a clear trash bag. I put hay in the bottom to bring the plants closer to the light. Added potting soild and tomato seeds and wa-la, indoor greenhouse!

Attachments

• aquarium greenhouse 001#1.jpg
    aquarium greenhouse 001#1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 501
  • aquarium greenhouse 003#2.jpg
    aquarium greenhouse 003#2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 495
  • aquarium greenhouse 002#3.jpg
    aquarium greenhouse 002#3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Crabber, I'm trying to find things to occupy all this time I seem to have on my hands right now and get away from FB games a little bit! LOL

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Mr Randy. RJ wa so proud this morning, he's got a few seeds sprouting already. Probably a thousand or so in his 3 beds so far. Our feed and seed store has let us know there will be no bundles of tomato plants this year. We usually buy bundles because it's much cheaper that way and we plant 200 to 300 plants each season. Flats and single pots are outragously priced. We hope to be able to keep the gardeners in our area happy :)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool greenhouse Gloria!

I'm waiting for all the snow to melt so I can put my coldframe together!
Got lots of seedlings that will need to be placed out in another month of so, to harden off!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really, this is a huge experiment for us. Tonight we have a gas heater running in there. The temps have dropped from 75+ today and down to 40 tonight. We'll learn as we go...

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, 3 weeks later, we have some tomato plants growing. We're growing 2 types, Beef Steak and Brandywine.

Attachments

• tomato plants.jpg
    tomato plants.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 454
  • toms 2.jpg
    toms 2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the support friends. Randy, we'll plant the usual, around 300 plants. That gives me plenty for canning and sharing with family and friends. We'll sell some some of the plants once they're mature enough to move. We're going to try to grow a few vegetables year round for our own use. Learning as we go..I'm lovin it!!

jbaby7162000

Thers a nusery here in town i found last year,they are so great with there price,tomatoe plants 50cents,but i like fiddling with the seeds my self so i sow my own.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com