How do I plant these potatoes?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

TravisScott

I keep reading stuff about how to start potatoes that aren't sprouting. These have been up in my cabinets for months. I live in Oklahoma, and its spring. I have a good large veggie garden to put these in outside. I don't know if I can throw them in it. If I do how do I properly plant them. Some have roots. Do i plant them roots and sprouts down? Up? Sideways? Do I pick off the sprouts and plant them like seeds? I'm not sure what to do wuth these. They are golden Idaho potatoes. Help? Are they going to produce new potatoes or are they just trash?

Attachments

• CAM00156.jpg
    CAM00156.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 340
  • CAM00158.jpg
    CAM00158.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 319

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Travis!
Your potatoes are in goot shape for planting! You need to cut them up first (cut them so there is a sprout per section). Then let them dry for a day so the cuts can callus over. Then they will be ready for planting. Looks like you will have lots of them to plant. Make trenches in the garden piling the soil between the rows..{you should have enough for 2 rows}.. space the potato sections a good foot apart, and a couple of inches deep. {The sprouts should be facing upwards}.....the soil between the rows, you will use later when the sprouts are tall enough. When they are 6, or more inches, tall you can start pulling the soul down a couple of inches at a time.....continue adding the soil to the trench as they grow until it is level.....at this point you can mulch the area!
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

TravisScott

Awesome! Thank you! Did I cut them up right? I have a pretty green thumb but I am nervous about messing up about everything. I'm a perfectionist. I can grow tomatoes from seeds. I had a bunch in my garden last year. Does the cut size seem alright though?

Attachments

• CAM00159.jpg
    CAM00159.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 318
  • CAM00160.jpg
    CAM00160.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 329

TravisScott

Yay!! Thank you! I planted them after they callused over nicely in my veggie garden yesterday. Oh crap I just re read your planting advice.. I planted the sprouts down.. should I go an switch them the other way. I forgot exactly what you said when I when to plant them and just assumed to plant them down since roots were coming out of them.Why do you plant them sprouts up?

TravisScott

Because the weird sprouts produce the leafs to get light I guess. Crap! Oh well no biggie. Ill go flip them. How deep do i plant them btw?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problem is that you are over thinking!;)
Even up-side-down the sprouts will automatically grow upwards!:)

SherryPhillips

Potatoes are easy to grow, but they prefer cool weather and are thirsty plants. But if the soil in your garden is too wet,then please wait until the soil is dry enough. If it's not the reason and soil is heavy and poorly drained, then a space-efficient raised-bed system is a good solution . I am using raised beds for tomatoes. As the beds are set higher, the water drains out more easily. Always take care to loosen the soil . An experienced garden expert can help you with more tips to get a good yield. I got the help of 'In the backyard' ( http://inthebackyard.ca/ ), Canada.

hillview

Potatoes require deep soil which does not have any stones and they need full exposure to the sun.Plant them with the eyes up ie about 2 to 3 inches deep.Make sure that they are spaced 12 inches apart in rows each row being about 2 feet apart.The top of the developing tubers should not be exposed to the sun or they might turn green.Wait for the plant to be about 5 to 6 inches tall and then begin heaping the soil around the base of the stems and potatoes may also require regular watering.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com