How many seeds to plant...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

How many seeds will I need to plant to get a good quality basil, dill and cilantro plant. I have never been successful with dill and cilantro and can't remember how many I planted for basil. Thanks.

Your success sounds like mine. I did have some success with dill about 20 or 25 years ago, but when I planted some here about 10 years ago, it didn't grow. I bought basil seeds to plant this spring, but my daughter has put them someplace. I saw a little preparation taking place in the kitchen with a couple of pots on the counter.

Dill needs to be surface sown because they need light in order to germinate, barely cover with soil!
With cilantro you need to soak the seeds for 24 hours, then sow, covering them with a 1/4 inch layer of soil!!

Ron you just amaze me... is there anything you don't know about seeding and gardening.
Thanks for all you help us with.

Ahhhh! No!
I do get rusty if I haven't sown in a while!
You would have a nightmare trying to germinate some of the perennial species that are fussy! I have a dozen or so that are a headache....I prefer species that do not need cold stratification, then warm then cold again with germination! Or, period of warm, then cold, then warm for germination! So I'm trying to keep track of which are which!
Herbs and vegggies are the easiest to get to germinate, as are most annual flowers!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back