How many weeks before last frost to sow seeds?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Canadian Lori

I try to stick with the number of weeks prior to last frost recommendations on seed packets but find that these may not be "best" recommendations?

It seems to me that those seedlings (except for my hot peppers) sold in garden centers and side garden areas at grocery stores are much more robust/bigger than mine. Mine get lots of light and I monitor the watering daily so they are not neglected.

I actually jumped a week ahead on some of my sowing just because I'm champing at the bit for spring but I'm convinced I'll still encounter far superior seedlings the minute they are in stock at the store. :oops:

Are these number of weeks instructions what are really used by commercial greenhouses? Does anyone know what the big boys use for start dates?

I’ve noticed the same thing! I don’t know what commercial growers do, but I definitely try to add a couple of weeks on when I start my seeds. I usually do at least 2 extra weeks.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back