Recipe How to Make Sugar Cookies Recipe

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

S

Sweet Basil

How to Make Sugar Cookies Recipe

I have spent years and years searching for how to make cut out sugar cookies that are still soft and delicious. This recipe is the grand prize winner and I’m a stitch embarrassed where it comes from.

-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-14.jpg

I have searched for the best sugar cookie recipe since I got married, which is 15 years ago now. That’s a really long time and it’s ridiculous how many failed sugar cookie attempts I’ve had.

I’ve learned a few things along the way and I definitely think that you should hear about them. But the first is where the winning recipe has come from.

The BEST Sugar Cookie Recipe for Cut Out Sugar Cookies​

I hit a point in my recipe search where I thought that the best cut out sugar cookies recipe might never be found. It had become elusive. I went ahead and reached out to our readers and you all gave me even more recipes to try, which I did and was closer than ever before. Until my mom texted me.

“Why haven’t you tried my recipe?”

My mom is gentle and kind, and most of all she is humble, but all of that aside she happens to be an amazing cook as well.

o-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-6.jpg

I Remember Thin Cookies

I remember my mom making sugar cookies with me a few times growing up but they were always thin. What I didn’t remember is that I was the one doing the rolling. And because all I remembered was thin cookies, which I don’t like as much as thick, I assumed it was the recipe and never asked for it.

The Final Attempt

I made her recipe again, yes skipping the cream just in case, which now I will occasionally use a tablespoon as needed, but sure enough, these were the BEST sugar cookies!

Roll them out as thick or as thin as you’d like.

Sugar Cookie Issues​

You know those sugar cookies that look so delicious, but leave that bitter, weird after-taste?

These are not those cookies!

Or what about those sugar cookies that are crisp and crumbly?

These are not those cookies!

These are soft, and sweet, and oh-so-delicious!

Oh but there still remains one problem, the sugar cookies that are perfectly soft and yummy but do not retain their shape at all.

These are not those cookies!!

-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-10.jpg

How to Make Sugar Cookies​

One of the most important steps to making perfectly soft sugar cookies is to take your time in mixing the butter and sugar. You see, as the butter and sugar the structure changes, more air enters and you achieve a lighter, fluffier cookie.

The Secret to a More Flavorful Sugar Cookie

While most recipes call for anywhere between a dash to a heavy hand of vanilla I believe all are incorrect.

In testing dozens upon dozens of sugar cookie recipes I found the same thing happening in each, a boring flavor.

ALMOND EXTRACT!

That’s the secret! It completely changes the flavor of the cookie without taking away from it’s sweet, gently profile. A combination of both vanilla and almond extract is key to the success of the cookie.

o-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-4.jpg

To Cream or Not to Cream

Mom’s recipe calls for a little heavy cream, but you don’t have to add it. If you do choose to add it make sure you start with just a tablespoon and smash the dough together with your hands as too much cream will in fact make a thinner cookie.

The reason you might want to add it is that it is a stitch easier to roll out with a little more moisture. But if you’re patient, you can roll the dough slowly and it’s perfect.

Can Sugar Cookie Dough Be Frozen?​

Sugar cookie dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.

Form dough into a ball and freeze in a heavy duty freezer bag.

Or, roll dough out and cut into shapes.

Freeze in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Once frozen, transfer cookies to a heavy duty freezer bag.

Sugar cookie dough should be thawed in the refrigerator before baking.

o-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-2.jpg

How Long Will Sugar Cookies Keep?​

Store sugar cookies in an air tight container in a cool, dry pantry or cupboard.

Sugar cookies will keep for up to 3 weeks.

Can You Use Margarine Instead Of Butter In Sugar Cookies?​

You can substitute stick margarine for the butter in a cookie recipe.

But, margarine may affect the spread and texture of the final result.

o-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-8.jpg

Sugar Cookies​

-make-sugar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-12.jpg

More COOKIE RECIPES You’re Going to Love:

Sugar Cookies

gar-cookies-cut-out-sugar-cookies-icing-12-280x360.jpg

• 1 Cup Butter (unsalted, softened)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Egg (large)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Almond extract
  • 3 Cups Flour
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1-2 Tablespoons Cream (optional)

1. Mix the softened (not melted) butter with the sugar for 1 1/2 minutes until light and fluffy.

2. Add the vanilla, almond and egg and beat again.

3. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Dough is soft and crumbly, but should ball up as you grab it and press it to form the ball. Wrap tightly in saran wrap to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes. If it needs to rest longer you will need to let it sit on the counter to soften from the chill of the fridge.

4. Roll to 1/2 -inch thick (whatever you like) over a very, very light dusting of powdered sugar, never flour as it weighs the dough down.

5. Cut into shapes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.

6. Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes.

7. Cookies will not be brown, if you like them soft. If you like them crisp, then let the edges brown just slightly.

ow-to-make-sugar-cookies-recipe-ohsweetbasil.com2_.jpg

READ: How to Make Sugar Cookies Recipe

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com