How to start an organic garden from scratch?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

erics smith

Basic requirements to put together an organic garden.
Would like to know about the manure, plant types to be grown and the basic upkeep needed for an organic garden.

Normally what I do it I made my own compost pile using kitchen waste and garden waste. Then you can prepare nutrient-rich compost mix totally free. (IF you have enough space in your backyard).

For manure- Alway use well-dried manure, especially chicken manure. Because when you are decomposing it makes a horrible smell (ammonia).

Depending on your climate conditions you can grow vegetables, fruits.

Hey. If you want to create organic garden don't resist the temptation to take the easy way out for bugs and weeds. Handpick the bugs and weeds. Use organic fertilizer, or better, make your own fertilizer from the vegan part of your table scraps (no meat, dairy or butter, animal or human waste) the only exception is you can include clean egg shells in a composter or vermiculture composter. Worms work faster, but are kind of like pets. Organic potting soil and organic supplements are sold as well.

Getting something that eats the bugs and out-competes the weeds can help too. Chickens eat bugs. Clover smothers weeds and adds nitrogen to the soil.

Organic done properly is more work, and has less return. It is why the organic veggies in the market are more expensive. At my home, I’m willing to get by with limited harvests as my contribution to the environment. Birds eat my bugs and my blueberries and blackberries. Animals hide under the pumpkin plants and birds nest in the holly. Geese cruise my lawn for the tasty weeds. Goldfinches eat the Echinacea seeds. It is great. I live in a tract house with a 3rd acre lot and see fox and rabbits and deer.

Cornflour / corn meal / corn gluten can help suppress weeds / unwanted plants from growing. It doesn't kill weeds already established because it acts as a pre-emergent herbicide. But it could be worth a try as it's 100% organic.

1. Get a soil test.
  2. Start a compost pile.
  3. Use organic seeds and plants when possible.
  4. Practice good garden sanitation.
  5. Rotate plant families every year.
  6. Use physical barriers and traps to thwart bad bugs. ...
  7. Scout for problems daily.
  8. Safely dispose of leftover chemicals.

hi,
hope you are going great in life. i think setting a garden is a hard work but maintaining it is much more harder.it needs proper care like a child but if we follow some simple tips it will be very beneficial in maintaining and designing a dream garden.

above are some useful tips for starting a green healthy garden.

I agree with arslan001@, there's a lot of steps to follow and it's very important to understand first what kind of soil your garden has.
Starting from scratch by yourself can be very challenging. I used professionals to get some bases - https://padovagiardinieri.com/ - and then started to take care of it myself

8 Steps Toward Organic Gardening
  1. Get a soil test.
  2. Start a compost pile.
  3. Use organic seeds and plants when possible.
  4. Practice good garden sanitation.
  5. Rotate plant families every year.
  6. Use physical barriers and traps to thwart bad bugs. ...
  7. Scout for problems daily.
  8. Safely dispose of leftover chemicals.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back