Huge unknown spider ??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I don't like killing safe spiders either. They eat bugs and there is one spider I would definitely never kill - Jumping spiders. Jumping spiders attack and kill brown recluse spiders! The jumping spider has a kind of a bee-sting bite but it's harmless. And I'd rather be bitten by them than a brown recluse!
Sorry to hear about your daughter, Lynpenny. But I'm glad she survived! :) Doug's mom lost her left leg when she was bit cause the doctor said it was the only way to save her. But at least she's still alive.

Had no idea that jumping spiders would bite. I have played with them all my life. Tim gets so mad at me for my catch and release efforts with house spiders.LOL! He has a phobia with spiders. We have lots of mud dobbers and of course they build their nest on our decks. He gets so mad because I won't let him knock them down until they have hatched the brood. The dobbers pack the tubes with spiders that are stunned with venom from the dobbers. The larval stage dobbers eat the spiders. I think it's a great bonus to have the dobbers as they help me keep spider control. Tim just gets creeped out over the whole process. I just shop vaced all the empty nest last weekend;)

I attended a class recently on sustainable gardening. It was not about food items though. But one of the things the fellow said was that he feeds birds to get them to hang around and eat bugs which allows him not to use pesticides.

The smaller jumpers can get into your cloths, so we need to shake them out before putting them on! They are little beggers and will even get under the bed sheets. They have no fear of us and will even tag a ride inside on our clothes! They do bite if they get between our skin and clothing! They leave small red itchy spots and will bite more then once! They are more of a nuisance then a threat to our health!
The creepier spider is a fast moving black one, a bit smaller then the large black furry jumping spider! It has a white hourglass shaped making in its back! They run on the floor (they are fast) and have no fear of us when we approach it, usually with a fly swatter! They are actually a bit defiant and will come at us! The only place I've seen them is on the floor, catching any ants, and assassin beatles and other bugs that get into the house!

Last edited:
Yeah! We have one kind of jumping spider here that bites like a bee and leaves a big red bump! I don't care though cause they keep the brown reluses away! :) And birds are great! We have birdfeeders and lots of grackles, pigeons, blackbirds, crows, blue jays, and cardinals... even some green hummingbirds and some hawks. But we have to have a major bug invasion before there are ever enough bugs to even start eating any plants!
My fave spider is tarantulas! I found one once and let it live in my bedroom. It could even get on my bed when I was sleeping, lol, I think it was just trying to wake me up!

Love these spiders, have several every year and we also catch grasshoppers and feed ours sometime, it's really neat to watch them catch and wrap them up

I attended a class recently on sustainable gardening. It was not about food items though. But one of the things the fellow said was that he feeds birds to get them to hang around and eat bugs which allows him not to use pesticides.

That's why I always plant flowers in my veggie patch. It attracts bug eaters and pollinators. ;) not to mention some flowers repel some pest.

Here's a large brown garden spider that are very common around here!
Tried to get a closer shot but she kept on shaking her web!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 303
I am redrose881 live mid west we have black yellow spider out here in the corn fields , they bite you put in hospital for awhile .Don"t care for them at all.

Hi Red,
Welcome!

Ron, I was just noticing over the weekend that our Garden spinders are hanging their nets most likeley for the last time this year. Rather sad to me as I so enjoy them. But like you said when you get close the shake their webs.

I haven't seen any orb spiders this year!
But, then again, I wasn't actively looking for them!
I treated the house with a contact poison designed for spider control! It's good for two weeks! Their numbers are way down compared to last year!
Now that its getting cooler I'll go around the house with a broom and remove all the egg cases! They tend to build the egg nests under the eaves!
If you look behind the brown spider (in the photo) you can see all the stain marks on the siding! They make such a mess with their poo and I have to power wash the siding to remove it!

Hi Red,
Welcome!

Ron, I was just noticing over the weekend that our Garden spinders are hanging their nets most likeley for the last time this year. Rather sad to me as I so enjoy them. But like you said when you get close the shake their webs.

Wow maybe I should quit talking on the phone and typing at the sametime. This really reads bad :p

Last edited:
Sadly Ron, it won't be long the spiders will be gone until spring. Except for the ones that make it past your barrier of poison. But I know what you mean about the egg cases too. It took me years to get the infestation of Widows under control. I have only seen a couple this year as in the past there were 100's.

There are some that hibernate, and we see them whenever the temps warm during the winter months!
Then they're are the ones in the house that we are always on the look out for, the black furry jumpers, and these black (fast moving ones) with a white triangle on their backs. We keep the flyswatter handy for those ones!

Yes even down here we see fewer spiders in the winter. We have these little crab spiders here. They are either red or yellow. I don't think they will hurt you but they are very active wed spinners. I think they are cute to watch. I find them across our steps to our deck in the mornings in the spring.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back