Hungry Hummingbird

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have found that if it is hard to clean the small mouth feeders that if you buy a set of brushes used to clean aquarium tubes they really work well. I found a set at the dollar store.

Pipe cleaners work too. That's the kind of pipe that is smoked though and not used for plumbing. LOL

I wish we had hummers here as they're so fascinating to watch around the garden. The closest we have are tiny Sunbirds which are getting rare unfortunately

I was washing a few dishes yesterday.Outside my kitchen window was a Hummer.I was so excited to see it but only for a minute.Then yesterday afternoon one was checking out my plum tree blossom's.

I wouldn't up the sugar although it will not freeze as fast.
It is said that they gauge their distant by their drink if they are buzzzzzzzzzzing from a quick sugar rush they will over estimate their distance and if there is no "food" or feeders (sugar water) out for them along their travel they will expire.

White Sugar water is to get them to the bugs, perching will allow them to rest and store some energy thus may be allowing them further distance.
You can research to find out about the water sugar ratio change. All that I have read,(mostly books) clearly state not to. One may find a site that says it is ok but I go with the majority just to be safe. Don’t want a hummer's life on my conscience!
I have read much on the fluid colors, it is said that the premix isn't suggested. No honey of any kind for any reason. It is also said to cause a bacteria in their tongues and throat and / or tumor.

I have been watching them to see if color does lore them and.. Although I found them on several reds (plants) I saw them on yellows and several other colors.
And. my feeders are faded and they still come for their day long sips.
I know it does look nice..red water hanging there; but. if it isn't helping the birds, I simply don't care how cool or pretty my feeders are as long and they are clean and fresh for the little hummers..
I had an acquaintance that thinks she can just mix and do whatever she wants, claims the birds go there to drink.

Just my 2cents..

Jump in you Hummer watchers!
What are your thoughts on this?:D:D

Kale:)

It's hummingbird time again! Here's the scoop on proper ratios. I've been researching this for a long time.

Also.............
Never use food coloring
Never use honey
Avoid commercial mixes that contain color
Never EVER use Kool-Aid.

All you need is sugar and water.
The general recommendation is that you boil the water. It helps the nectar keep for longer and kills bacteria.....or so it is thought.

For every four cups of water, add one cup of sugar. Boil the water, and when it comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the sugar. Stir the sugar constantly until it is dissolved.

During migration times, for every four cups of water, add 1 1/3 cups of sugar.

Never leave the feeder up without changing it for more than 3 or 4 days. In hot weather, change the feeders every day or ever other day. Sugar water will start to grow mold very quickly.

Wash all of the feeder ports thoroughly. If you get grimy mold or other stuff in your feeder, pour some rice inside the feeder, add soapy water, and cover the opening with your finger and shake it around. The rice should dislodge any gunk.

The reason for not using honey is that it can contain botulism spores, the same reason you don't give honey to babies. Adult humans seem to digest the spores with no ill effects, but the hummingbirds, like human babies, can be harmed by them.

I have my feeder up but no hummingbirds yet. I use the ratio of 4 to 1 and I have use red coloring and some with clear and I don't see that the color matters at all. I have just as many on the clear feeders as I did the red one. Looking forward to seeing them for the first time time this year.

I am excited to see the hummers again this year..I am not sure when they appear here. Does anyone have a good site were I can find ot what kind of hummers we have here?

RR

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back