Hydrangeas & Soil Conditions

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Rebecca

I just purchased a beautiful Kyushu Hydrangea, but have no experience with Hydrangeas. I'm in Zone 3, but many zone 4 plants grow well here. The soil is somewhat alkaline, and I read that they prefer acidic soil. Will mixing in some peat moss be sufficient? Thanks. :)

Bernie

I don't know if the the peat will or wont be enough but I give mine coffee grounds and they love it. I hope someone else will come along with an answer. If not I would add the peat & coffee grounds to the soil then I'd get one of those cheapy soil test kits and test the soil in about a week to see what the ph is. good luck. BTW you can get free coffee grounds from star bucks.

GPM

Rebecca,

Bernie is right about the used coffee grounds. These will neutralize the soil to improve the conditions for growing, that's why his hydrangeas like it. However there are other alternatives. One is Aluminum Sulfate granules bought at any nursery. Aluminum Sulfate acidifies the soil or neutralizes it from an Alkaline state. I use this stuff to grow my potatoes and it works well.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mulch mine with pine needles and also use coffee grounds and left over coffee on them

GPM

MaineGal,

Do you think that brown arborvitae foliage will work ? My spruce and austrian pines are too small to harvest their winter needles.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
MaineGal,

Do you think that brown arborvitae foliage will work ? My spruce and austrian pines are too small to harvest their winter needles.

I'm not sure, hopefully someone will come along with the answer GPM.
Ron? Treeman? Where are you?

midwesthort

Acidifying soil w/ Conifer clippings

Yes, your old conifer needles will also help acidify the soil. But it's going to take time! Sulphur takes about 6 months to show up in a soil test, so be patient. If the plant is yellowed or not dark green, give it a soil drenching of miracid on a regular basis, until you can raise your sulphur level. enough to lower your Ph.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mom would always make me pour the pickle juice on them for the acid. I can remember sitting under the bush drinking the juice :p

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
You didn't! That is so funny. If you have apple trees or pears, you can also deposit those under acid-loving plants and let them compost there. But that can also attract yellow jackets.

Botann

The soil here is acid so I don't have much to say about turning sweet soil into acid soil.
Hydrangeas grow here without much care. They do like a little shade and summer water to keep them from wilting. I usually plant them in a damp, shady spot with drainage.
I grow several varieties. Here's one of my favorites. It's called 'Weiderspink'.

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beautiful Botann! Have you posted this in the Photo Gallery yet? I would love to see that get on the feed.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com