Hydrangeas

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have a lot of coffee grounds and add them to my compost bin. The big problem is that fire ants has made a home in the contents of my bin and I don't know how to get rid of them besides insecticides. These red ants are a huge problem here. I would rather not use a chemical. I poured a gallon of boiling water in it but they are still there!! Does anyone have any suggestions??

Gloria I wish I knew something to tell you how to get rid of the ants. Good luck on your quest.

Gloria, you could try food grade diatomaceous earth. You can get it at a feed store. It cuts up the ectoskeleton of the insect and they basically bleed to death.

Thanks latebloomer, I'll see if the local feed store has it. Seems the ants are invading my entire yard and garden. I erected a cold frame back in the cold months and the ants took half of it. My tomato seeds grew only in the half where ants were not living! I got 40 plants were I could have made 80 or more.

If you get a mega colony of Argentine ants, they'll kill the fire ants *and* take out any termites.

Of course, then you have a mega colony of Argentine ants, another invasive species, like in my area. *sigh* Well, at least they don't bite, but dang if they're not the best little aphid herders.

LOL..Blue, I don't need anymore invasive critters in my area! I checked again today and didn't see any ants in my compost bin! The boiling water must have helped but I just know the ones that survived have moved else where. I guess I'll soon find out where soon enough...ughhhh!

Do hydrangea's like shade or sun. I need to dig up my 2 remaining ones that the rabbits haven't killed and move them. Where I was going to move them would be half and half.

In my opinion the hydrganeas do best without the hottest part of the day sun.

LOL..Blue, I don't need anymore invasive critters in my area! I checked again today and didn't see any ants in my compost bin! The boiling water must have helped but I just know the ones that survived have moved else where. I guess I'll soon find out where soon enough...ughhhh!

Gloria, I had a large ant hill at the base of one of my raised beds and had spread to one side of raised beds next to my tomatoes. I used the quick grits and within 48 hours they were gone. You might want to try that if the ants show up again in your yard. I took a hand full and sprinkled it over both hills without stirring up the hill.

My hydrangeas are blooming, too. Deep blue. When is the right time to dig them up and move them? I have one too close to the other. They are both Endless Summers. I thought one was dead and placed a new one next to it last year. This year they have both taken off!

I would wait til later when it's cooler. Why don't you try your hand at taking some cuttings and root them. Hydrganeas are easy to root.

Really? I never knew much about them other than I wanted one. I love big flower heads! I will look up how to root them and give it a try. Can share them with my daughter that way.

My hydrangea

Attachments

• DSCN1362 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1362 (Small).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 293
Mine are that color every year. I never add anything to the soil, it must just be the ph of my soil. The picture does not do them justice, the color is actually darker, more purple.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back